Question

So why not post here because? You people are cool <3 So I have been going to an Art college for 4 years... An Art Institute that is closing in March. So since the school is closing I do not have any rights. EVEN my credits will not transfer over to another college and if they did transfer ... It would be in another state at another Art Institute. I just can't get up and move to LA right now...  I am great at video editing and production, and I have hands on experience with cameras, audio etc... I am good at what I do BUT I would have liked an actual film degree. SO since I wasted 4 years of my life I am now looking at other college options and I found a film school in Vegas. Tuition is only 10 grand and it is only 1 more year of my time working with professionals in the industry. I mean even Drake's nephew goes here O_o My question?... People are telling me well you don't need a film degree! Just work on your portfolio and gain connections.. WHICH DUH I am trying to do in this field BUT I always want to learn more and I really want some kind of degree... Is that wrong? Should I give this new college a chance? What do you think?  I just don't know what to do right now.... since my college is closing its doors.

6 answers to this question

Well its definitely your choice if you want a degree or not. But I say that if you can find reliable college that you know FOR SURE won't close and even if they did could transfer your credits then I say go for it. But if you think you don't need a degree because you could already edit and do stuff like that amazingly, then you really don't even need a film school degree. I hope I helped!

• Like 1

I think you should make connections and job hunt for a film position.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Onision said:

I think you should make connections and job hunt for a film position.

You are right and I am applying everywhere at the moment but Vegas doesn't really give me room for much opportunity :( I have connections but no reliable ones.... hard to explain... people in LA seem very dead set in their ways and they keep giving me the run around out there. I don't think anyone will take me seriously UNLESS I have a degree in the industry or working on some projects that I can get credit for. My only option might be moving to LA..... I don't really want to move though... and this is where I end up stuck.

There are plenty of actors and filmmakers who didn't go to (or finish) college, you know? Why be so set on a piece of paper to validate what you already know you're capable of? It won't prove anything, it just looks pretty on a resume. Some actors had regular jobs, and then they did something totally different and then their big break came when they least expected it to. Perhaps it will be that way for you, too? There's an animator on YouTube who does Lucas the Spider, and the voice actor is their kid or their cousin or something, who's still in school (they are a kid after all, and the adult is the one doing the animating). My point is, do what you love, and keep doing what you love, instead of worrying about the years you "wasted". It's not a waste if you take what you've learned so far and make use of it to your advantage. Lift that chin up and get to work, you can do this!