Adam159900

Can depression just disappear?

Alright so anyone who has seen my posts knows I haven't been the happiest of people. I might have been depressed but I never technically got it checked out by a professional so I obviously don't know for sure what was up with me. All of a sudden it is gone. After months and months and so much time of having this terrible feeling it is just gone. I feel happier then ever and it is f●●●ing amazing! I am not gonna lie though, I have a slight fear that it will come back and maybe even harder than before but let's hope it doesn't. So can depression really just disappear like this? Was it even really depression? I don't know. 

Clinical depression can’t just go away, but like general depression can I guess. You may be experiencing a manic episode, which won’t last forever. Don’t be discouraged if the depression sets back in, and I would really recommend seeing a doctor if you can. Dealing with this kind of thing alone is extremely hard and you can end up doing more harm than good in the long run. 

Also keep in mind that you don’t have to always go to therapy, you can just learn coping skills and figure things out and then take it back into your own hands once you have the tools to cope better. I know a lot of people are highly averse to seeking help, I myself am one of them, but there’s no denying that sometimes we need help and there’s no shame in that, no matter what anyone says. We all deserve help and to feel whole and happy in life. 

• Love 1

Sometimes one might think it is gone... but it's sitting there... waiting to hit ya.

• Love 3

12 minutes ago, Onision said:

Sometimes one might think it is gone... but it's sitting there... waiting to hit ya.

Yep! You could be doing perfectly fine and just suddenly be absolutely plowed over by a dumptruck of depression. It's unreal how it can take you from fine to "I wanna die" if you're not careful!

this is what it felt like to me prior to getting diagnosed with Bi-polar I. Turns out I was cycling :P

Depression doesn't just go away dude.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Onryouji said:

Also keep in mind that you don’t have to always go to therapy, you can just learn coping skills and figure things out and then take it back into your own hands once you have the tools to cope better. I know a lot of people are highly averse to seeking help, I myself am one of them, but there’s no denying that sometimes we need help and there’s no shame in that, no matter what anyone says. We all deserve help and to feel whole and happy in life. 

Well I don't plan on getting any therapy and getting "help" isn't really my style so I'll just see what happens I guess. Also what do you mean by coping skills? In my book coping skills are just distractions but when I was having that feeling of "depression" distraction from it was basically impossible.

1 hour ago, XerinaNova said:

this is what it felt like to me prior to getting diagnosed with Bi-polar I. Turns out I was cycling 😛

Depression doesn't just go away dude.

well f●●●

1 hour ago, Adam159900 said:

Well I don't plan on getting any therapy and getting "help" isn't really my style so I'll just see what happens I guess. Also what do you mean by coping skills? In my book coping skills are just distractions but when I was having that feeling of "depression" distraction from it was basically impossible.

Well, if you have clinical or chronic depression or worse then you might be giving yourself a death sentence but I guess do you my dude. Coping skills as in ways to recognize and understand your own behavior and emotions, and thus deal with them in a healthy way. 

• Love 1

I feel you on it not being your style, I absolutely hate the thought of not being able to handle my S●●● myself, but sometimes it is what it is and you gotta reach out.

No it doesn’t just go away. And contrary to popular belief, not all depressed people are sad 100% of the time. It’s normal to have days where you feel better than others.

I think if you’re so concerned with your mental health you should get diagnosed. None of us can diagnose you or tell you what’s really going on. 

• Love 3

I don't think that depression can go away/go away over night. I am not a dr. (nor do I play one of t.v.) joking👀

I don't claim to be a dr. but it is a chemical makeup and genes that can make it happen. Also certain events in life

can make a person develop depression. A person can have depression and still laugh, joke, have good days and bad.

I am not trying to impose or tell you what to do but if you think you have depression and it is interfering with your life,

you should decide what the best root of help to seek. 

Clinical depression doesn't go away. It sounds like you're experiencing a manic episode (being happy for a 2 or more days). This happens to me sometimes, but if you have clinical depression, it will unfortunately come back

On 3/28/2019 at 10:48 PM, Onision said:

happens to me often!

Just gotta hang in there... it's nice to know we're not alone.

• Love 1

On 3/29/2019 at 6:02 AM, alexsis.dimarzio@yahoo.com said:

I don't think that depression can go away/go away over night. I am not a dr. (nor do I play one of t.v.) joking👀

I don't claim to be a dr. but it is a chemical makeup and genes that can make it happen. Also certain events in life

can make a person develop depression. A person can have depression and still laugh, joke, have good days and bad.

I am not trying to impose or tell you what to do but if you think you have depression and it is interfering with your life,

you should decide what the best root of help to seek. 

totally agree with that

other mental illnesses, like shizophrenia may occur by occasion and hide beneath your whole life

it alway helps to observe and learn to know your personal triggers (positive and negative)

as an example

negative: being of no practical use to other sentient beings in the long term makes me depressed / lack of physical activity

positive: ketogenic diet (long term), fasting and sleep deprivation (short term)

• Like 1

My first suggestion is echoing a few others: If you're concerned that you may have depression or any other mental illness, go see a doctor and get diagnosed. That'll help you in the long run. Don't just tough it out and not seek help since you don't often do it in your day to day life, that just hurts you and makes things more difficult.

As far as the actual question: Generally speaking depression doesn't go away. Some people have good days and bad days and the good days make it seem like it's gone away, but it hasn't. There is also a thing called Seasonal Depression (now classified as Seasonal Affective Disorder), which is what it says on the tin; depression that comes during different seasons, primarily late fall/winter where the sun isn't out as much. But, no matter what kind of depression you have, it usually doesn't just go away.