Onision

A Tough Question...

Ready for it?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still love your kid if they wound up being the next Hitler?

• Yes
    • No

Yes because a parents love should be unconditional. A parent may not like their kids S●●●ty decisions and bad choices, but that shouldn't cancel out the love you have had for them for their whole lives. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Sloppy Mommy said:

Yes because a parents love should be unconditional. A parent may not like their kids S●●●ty decisions and bad choices, but that shouldn't cancel out the love you have had for them for their whole lives. 

😛 Life is complicated.

• Like 1

Yeah because if my kid becomes a maniac it’s probably partially on me anyway? If that makes sense? I don’t think anyone’s born evil, so how I raised them may have had an effect. 

4 hours ago, Onision said:

Thought it would be interesting to ask.

I wouldn't approve of him being a Hitler, but because I'm his mother I love him unconditionally. 

• Love 1

Love for a child from a parent should be unconditional. Love for their actions and behaviour should have a limit. As someone who lacked a lot of love from one of my parents, I cannot express how much it's important for a parent to express and show their child that they love them no matter what. I think there's a difference though between loving your child or even anyone and loving or condoning their actions. Consider the parents of a murderer, they love their child, but hate what the child has done and the kind of person they've become... I think it also comes down to how far the parents choose to pursue their responsibility as a guardian, protector and mentor; how far they take their personal responsibility for their offsprings' choices and actions. I believe that any good parent offers their child unconditional support and love, but in doing so must also apply appropriate boundaries in order to avoid the possibility of another Hitler. Life, parenthood and right and wrong are all very complicated and it has been the fruits many a moral philosophers life, to research and confirm moral high and low ground. Or whether there is truly good and truly bad, we believe Hitler to be the absolute of truly bad, but what about the people who believed him good... What if the parent believed Hitler good... I'll reiterate again, its complicated and I don't believe its as simple as saying a parent loves or hates their child for what they've done, because both could be true at the same time... Unconditional love isn't one kind of action or feeling or belief, I think its many and has many facets we either all experience some of or maybe none, but also experiences are expressed differently; no matter how small the difference; in every person... So personally yes I would love my child, my blood and my legacy, but I would never love or condone actions that cause pain and suffering to innocents. But this is just my barf up of an opinion.

There's a breaking point for every relationship regardless of what they are to you. So I don't know my answer to this question. It's complicated

• Love 1

I mean if your child ends up being the next Hitler, I think there’s a chance you might’ve done something horribly wrong as a parent. 

But no, I think I’d still love who my child was but I wouldn’t be able to continue to love a monster like that. 

• Love 1

I'd blame myself for bad parenting but I'd love my child anyway.

Having trouble with this one.... gut reaction at hearing it says NO WAY but then again I forgave my dog for murdering my chickens (including my very beloved chicken that i'd raised from a chick) ....and i forgave her like within an hour, too, lol.   was still upset but .....she's still my baby.  a crazy chicken-murdering-baby,  but MY crazy chicken-murdering baby.  
I think I would probably have love for the person but also hate who they are and not support them at all and probably have to disconnect from them for my own sanity.  

also, might depend on whether the kid was ALWAYS an asshole or just became one later lol.  like, how good a relationship did we have when they were a kid?  were they always bratty and kind of a born sociopath or became that way?  I know most of the time its innate to love your kid but some ppl can make it very difficult to love them.  people  might want to say they love them b/c they are supposed to but do they really?  you cant control emotions and connection and if the kid is THAT bad it could make it hard to actual form a connection with them, whether you want to actually love them or not.   i'd like to say yea i'd love my kid no matter what but...... hell, i dont know, i've never tried to love someone who was  capable of committing mass genocide.  

I have great doubts that I would love my child at all, so - well one of the reasons for me to stay childfree. Even if Hitler 2.0 sounds kinda apocalyptic.

Love and disappointment aren't the same things to me. You always love your kids but you can be disappointed in the decisions they make in life.

I don't know of anything that would ever make me not love my children.   I need to clarify that loving would not equal accepting them being like Hitler.