Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Onision

Who Should Defend LGBT?

Recommended Posts

A lot of people get upset when straight people defend gay people... why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Onision said:

A lot of people get upset when straight people defend gay people... why?

Because they don't have lives of their own and think everyone should be like them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Straight allies may receive criticism for a variety of reasons. For example, some believe that straight allies are unable to step outside their own heteronormative world to advocate. Straight allies are also criticized for using LGBTQ advocacy as a means to gain popularity and status.” (From Wikipedia.)

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems kinda silly. Like if you're at war... trying to survive, allies show up... now we gotta argue with our allies? Come on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Onision said:

Seems kinda silly. Like if you're at war... trying to survive, allies show up... now we gotta argue with our allies? Come on.

Idk I don’t agree with it personally speaking lol. Straight allies are welcome in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non LGBT people defending LGBT people I think is fine. I personally feel like the difference is when someone tries to speak for them. We should be lifting them up and giving them a platform to talk about their experiences. 

I think a good way to do this, with YouTube for example, if you’re an ally trying to bring awareness to LGBT issues, a great thing to do could be to collaborate with LGBT people in your videos and talk to them about their own experiences as a gay, trans, etc. individual.

We can be supportive and we can imagine what it’s like to be in their shoes but we will never experience it the way they have and they should be the ones to tell that story. 

Again, not saying there’s anything wrong with non lgbt people speaking on issues. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mae said:

Non LGBT people defending LGBT people I think is fine. I personally feel like the difference is when someone tries to speak for them. We should be lifting them up and giving them a platform to talk about their experiences.  

I think a good way to do this, with YouTube for example, if you’re an ally trying to bring awareness to LGBT issues, a great thing to do could be to collaborate with LGBT people in your videos and talk to them about their own experiences as a gay, trans, etc. individual.

We can be supportive and we can imagine what it’s like to be in their shoes but we will never experience it the way they have and they should be the ones to tell that story. 

Again, not saying there’s anything wrong with non lgbt people speaking on issues. 

Yeah totally. We will never fully understand.

What we most certainly can do however, is defend them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Onision said:

Yeah totally. We will never fully understand.

What we most certainly can do however, is defend them.

Absolutely! ❤️

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a difference between standing with and speaking with the LGBT community and assuming that you know what's best and talking over them, like Mae said. Allies are fine and welcome to help boost the cause, but I know I've seen some people talk over those they're trying to help and it's cringey, to say the least.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 10:45 PM, unbrit said:

There's a difference between standing with and speaking with the LGBT community and assuming that you know what's best and talking over them, like Mae said. Allies are fine and welcome to help boost the cause, but I know I've seen some people talk over those they're trying to help and it's cringey, to say the least.

Help is help, even if it comes from someone who thinks they know more than they do. If we all focused on the big problems first, that would be awesome.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't f●●● with anyone in that mindset. 

Defend people who are in need of support is my motto. And who cares if the person defending is straight or w/e. Excluding allies because they're straight is the complete opposite of being all inclusive and is detrimental to equality for all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Onision said:

Help is help, even if it comes from someone who thinks they know more than they do. If we all focused on the big problems first, that would be awesome.

Hmm... It's less about someone claiming their an ally and more that those who talk over people in the LGBT community  who claim that they're an ally end up just invalidating those who they are trying to stand up for.

Again, I'm all for straight and/or cis people who are actually allies for the cause. It's not right to shut out those sorts of people who stand next to people in the LGBT community. But I'm not here for people who decide to stand in front of those in the LGBT community and speak over them and pretend they know the struggles that go on.

I've seen it and experienced it first hand and it's more tiring dealing with them sometimes than anti-LGBT people. At least I can predict what stupid things an anti-LGBT person will come up with and deal with that as it comes since it's just a handful of things, comparatively. With people who decide to talk over the community, it's a mixed bag of "Well, I thought you wanted allies" to "you're oppressing me right now, I'm just trying to help" to "you're being homophobic against your own community" and various other things that they seem to be reaching hard for and they have a wide range of excuses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would rather someone over-defend me rather than thinking they had my back, when they show they weren't in my corner to begin with. 

In a situation where a person who is trying to help, but not fully knowing what they are saying, they can always be spoken to about it at a later time, a dialog could open and conversation to be had, it could be an epic  teaching moment for both people. 

I feel like everyone can teach and learn from everyone else, so everyone should be able to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Site Rules