Sign in to follow this  

Nervous about getting my wisdom teeth removed

Okay so next month on the 7th, I’m having my four wisdom teeth pulled and will be going under anesthesia for the first time.They are not impacted or anything like they came out normally because I have naturally straight teeth. I decided that since I’m getting four teeth pulled and it will be 2-3 hours, I don’t really wanna be awake for that because I have aniexty in general and hate getting dental work done in general but these are the only teeth that have been causing me issues.  

I’m just nervous about getting it done but I know I have to get them removed to prevent future problems but I’m just nervous. 

Any tips/advice would help. 

Posted (edited)

I had anesthesia for mine too for similar reasons.  I have autism and sensory processing issues + anxiety so the thought of having to deal with that long of feeling that much pain and uncomfortableness and having to keep my mouth open etc just...did not sound tolerable to me and so they put me out. 
I was nervous too but dont worry too much- its really not that bad especially since you will be unconscious for the worst of it which is them actually going in and pulling.  
When i had mine done I didnt even realize they did it at first-- they put me under with the anesthesia and when i woke up from the anesthesia it felt like it had only been a second and they were shaking me and telling me to get up and i went to say "wait, but when are you going to do it?" and they laughed because i was slurring and said they already did! LOL, i literally didnt even realize they had done it.  
I went back to sleep in the car on the way home and slept for most of the rest of that day.  I was just kind of out of it and the gauze in my mouth was annoying but i really didnt feel much of it until way later that day and then the next day was probably when it actually hurt the worst.  Even then, they should give you some vicodin or percoset to take and just take it as needed, buy a couple of re-freezable ice packs at the pharmacy if you dont have any so you can put on on either side of your jaw since you're having all 4 out at once (i had all 4 out at the same time too, and 2 of mine were growing sideways putting pressure on the nerves of my other teeth, so it was even more painful)  -- so take your meds , use icepacks,  and eat lots of icecream.  Don't try to eat anything solid because its just not worth it.  Take the opportunity to eat yummy stuff like ice cream, sherbet, pudding, yogurt if you need something healthier, smoothies, etc.   You'll be okay!  It takes about a week to start really feeling better and 2 weeks you should be mostlyh back to normal.  Your mouth and gums heal pretty quick!  You've got this!  

Edited by AnnaSantina

Posted (edited)

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed when I was 12 because they came in early and were impacted. I was also put under general anesthesia. I was nervous too because I was only in seventh grade and had never been put under or had surgery. When I went in for the procedure I was given some medicine to help me relax before being brought back into the room where the extraction was going to be done. The nurse put some monitors on me such as a heart and blood pressure monitor which are routine for patients being put under. The doctor then came in and assured me everything would be fine and that he had removed thousands of wisdom teeth before. He then told me he was going to start the medicine that was going to put me to sleep and to count to ten. I never made it to ten and the next thing I knew I was waking up and all done. I was sent home with antibiotics, pain medicine, information for avoiding dry socket and keeping the wounds clean, as well as instructions to stay on soft foods for the first week. I did have swelling which was managed with an ice pack and any pain I had was covered by the pain medication.

Now, I am also a surgical technologist (I set up the OR, prep medications, and assist the surgeon during surgery) and can give you some insight on what to expect when coming out of anesthesia, since induction is usually fast and patients don't remember too much of it. Your hearing is the first sense to come back and because of this most nurses, doctors, and recovery rooms are quiet to not startle you as you wake up. It's also very common to have an oxygen mask put on because it helps you to wake up. You might notice the sound of the oxygen as a gentle hiss or feel a slight breeze in your face from the mask. You'll feel tired and maybe be a little clumsy with your movements. It common to feel foggy as well. Most of the effects of the anesthesia will subside after 24 hours.  Feel free to message me if you have any questions and good luck with your wisdom tooth removal. Eat lots of ice cream!

Edited by vertighostx