Hey,

To be honest I'm not sure where this topic would go, and this is pretty much my first personal post; but I really need advice because google isn't helping me.

I'm a 21 y/o female college student, just about to finish up my junior year. Today my dad was texting me about signing up for credit karma to raise my credit and that I should have done this when i first started college. Now I don't really feel comfortable getting a credit card, not now anyway. I don't have a stable job, I don't know a ton about the credit system since the American education system never taught me much about it and I don't have time to do the research, and I overall did not want one.
He kept asking me for my email and SSN, and I ignored the messages after saying no and that I felt uncomfortable many times. I even told him that I would like to talk about it with him once I got home on the 15th of this month... which is a week and a half away. After I said that to him, he replied "All right nvm I'll do it myself. I'll start a new email for you. I don't understand any you don't trust me." He then proceeded to tell me about my score, the type of credit card I was verified for, and my card limit. Ending the messages with "You're on your way." Isn't this some kind of identity theft or something? I had a straight up panic attack over it already and I don't know what to do because, like I said, I felt very uncomfortable about it and said no multiple times and he still went through with it. Using my SSN and even creating a new email account to get me one because I refused to give him my personal ones. It's not like he has used the card (to my knowledge), since he just got it, but I don't even know the email or anything besides the type of card he got. Anyone got any advice..?

TL;DR: My dad signed me up for a credit karma account, and then proceeded to apply for credit cards using an email he made under my name and my SSN, and ended up getting one after I said no multiple times. Is this a kind of identity theft? I don't know what to do...

Ooooof. Idk about the legality of it but it’s 100% a breach of trust, boundaries, etc etc. I’m sure his intentions are in the right place but that’s not ok. If you’re saying no, whether he feels it’s for the best or not, it’s a no. Consent is not just a s●●ual thing, it applies to all aspects of life. 

Definitely some boundary issues but he is right. 

Okay here's the deal. 

You dont have to be afraid of credit cards. 

You could put something small on a credit card. Like a Netflix or hulu bill. Pay that off every month like you normally would but with  credit instead of debit. 

Basically how you build your credit is you pay for the basics (basics you are paying for anyway) with a credit card. Then you pay off the credit card. 

It's annoying to add a middleman like that but places like utilities or Netflix dont report to credit bureaus.

The reason he wants you to start asap is because "credit age" matters too. He's looking out for your future. You will need good credit to get a house loan or a car loan. 

If you have bad or no credit and you try to get a car. They will give you a bad interest rate and you could end up paying $10,000 more than the asking price of the car.

I have 3 credit cards right now. I only use one. Credit Karma has been an excellent tool. 

I don't think that's legal. I'd have a talk with my father if I were you and ask him  "Why did you do that?" "What do you plan to do with it?" No matter what he says, if you DO NOT feel comfortable, you have every right to call up and cancel the card, but if you do decide to do that, tell your father you canceled it so that he doesnt use it and face any legal issues for using it. If his credit is not in good standing, well he'll have to fix that if he wants  to buy any big ticket items. I am 36 and I have never had a credit card.  As long as he doesn't use it, it's okay, and if he does as long as he pays the minimum charges at least on it, you'll be okay, Depends on what you feel like doing about it. 

Also, checking your credit score, COULD lower it. It doesnt ALWAYS lower it, but if you get curious, go to your local bank and speak to a teller, they can look it up with no penalties. 

Find out what bank that credit card is with a report the fraud and they will provide you with next steps, you can probably contact credit karma as well and explain the situation.

I work for a bank and this is illegal. 

You said that he asked you for your SSN and your emails but then just made an email.... how did he get your SSN??