Sign in to follow this  
Adam159900

Where can I find and/or get information about depression?

First of all I am not going to see a medical professional for personal reasons so don't mention it. I am just trying to get information about if I even have "depression" and if so then what kind do I have and like how severe and S●●●. Then what I can do to "help" myself. So yeah, if someone knows of a legit website where I can find good information such as this and more then I would greatly appreciate it. 

6 hours ago, Valentin said:

use Google or just put away your pride and visit a professional

Well I just don't know if I can believe everything on google and it isn't about pride when it comes to the professional. 

I mean I guess you could try and find like psychology textbooks online? 

Also maybe try seeking out support groups on like fb and stuff. Even if you aren’t active people post about their own experiences and it’s helpful to see others experiences and know you aren’t alone. 

Keep in mind before you start diving deeper, no two people are the same so no two peoples experiences are the same with mental illnesses, just in general. It’s easy to fall down the rabbit hole of doubt which doesn’t help anybody, so if you see stuff that doesn’t 100% match up try not to doubt your own experiences and feelings. 

1 hour ago, Adam159900 said:

Well I just don't know if I can believe everything on google and it isn't about pride when it comes to the professional. 

you can't give yourself a diagnose! you need a doctor for that and what if you need medicine? you can't get that by yourself. I have had a really hard time to swallow my pride and call a psychiatrist...a childhood friend had to die before I could finally look for help. I have been s●●ually assaulted for 3years by an older student in farming school, my dad would hit me really bad everytime he was drunk (almost every day). All psychiatrists and doctors aren't bad at their job

• Love 2

HEY!  This is actually something i know a little bit about, been dealing with it for years and my brother has a degree in neuroscience and i've studied it a little on my own just to keep up with him and try to understand my own brain better anyway so... here's what i know -- first off-- for resources you could try checking out the NAMI website (national alliance on mental illness) , i am sure they probably have a whole list of resources and info.  AND , if you do end up thinking you might need medication but cant go to a doctor yet you could try starting with St. Johns Wort and/or 5htp.  They are both over-the-counter supplements that are known to help with depression and anxiety.  St Johns Wort has been touted as being comparable to the antidepressant wellbutrin in clinical studies.  These are both over the counter, usually in the vitamin section and help with serotonin production, etc. Serotonin is usually what makes a big impact on clinical/chemical depression (ie- most antidepressants are SSRIs- selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitors)  Both are usually pretty safe as long as you arent taking other medication that is an MAOI (i dont really know what those even are, but they always say if you take anything that interacts with serotonin, you shouldnt be on an MAOI or vice versa, lol... its some different class of medication...(i can look it up if you need 'cause i forget but pretty sure an MAOI- is not a super commonly used medication anyhow.  )  If you have problems with anxiety as well, there is Valerian root as well which can help with anxiety and insomnia as well in higher doses (another herbal supplement--- the capsules smell  like old  feet  though lol) 
i hope some of this helped.. you can also look up the actual DSM-4/DSM-5 (are we on 5 now?) which is what doctors use to diagnose mental conditions - it lists the symtoms and like presentation and how long symptoms have to persist for to be classified as a disorder, etc and try to "self diagnose" that way... honestly if you are questioning that  you have depression you very well might... most people who dont have depression dont get so  depressed for long enough  to get to the point where they think  it might be a disorder or a problem.... so if you think its a problem, it probably it... it just depends what you want to do about it whether it be medication, talk therapy, herbal over the counter stuff like i suggested for now, and/or also trying to implement other positive things into your life as you can to help pull yourself out of it.  (i know you cant just pull yourself out of depreesion- if only it were that easy-- but ive also realized you can go down an even deeper hole if you just give into it,  so trying to implement positive things, get out more, not just sit it your room all day even if you kind of really want to, etc... at least... trying to make an effort when you feel like MAYBE you can, then clinging real hard to that maybe. and hoping things get better... all that sometimes helps a lot more than just diving further into the hole and pulling the earth up over you.  
I hope you feel better ❤️ 
-Anna

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valentin said:

you can't give yourself a diagnose! you need a doctor for that and what if you need medicine? you can't get that by yourself. I have had a really hard time to swallow my pride and call a psychiatrist...a childhood friend had to die before I could finally look for help. I have been s●●ually assaulted for 3years by an older student in farming school, my dad would hit me really bad everytime he was drunk (almost every day). All psychiatrists and doctors aren't bad at their job

Alright sorry you had to go through all of that but this still isn't about pride for me. Like I said it is because of personal reasons that I can't and won't see one. 

• Love 1

21 hours ago, Adam159900 said:

First of all I am not going to see a medical professional for personal reasons so don't mention it. I am just trying to get information about if I even have "depression" and if so then what kind do I have and like how severe and S●●●. Then what I can do to "help" myself. So yeah, if someone knows of a legit website where I can find good information such as this and more then I would greatly appreciate it. 

sorry you don't have many options yet that sings to you to will away this depression of yours...

• Love 1