Kiritsugu

Curiosity: Why did Onision hide ratings?

This video explains why showing ratings / allowing comments are important.  It is noted that on the rare occasion, hiding it is completely fine if there is a specific reason. 

I'm curious why Onision has hidden ratings/comments in not just one or two, but several videos recently? I suppose relatively speaking, one might consider this a short period of time (for argument's sake) and thus essentially being a 'rare occasion', as I might put it, but relatively speaking (in regards to the several videos themselves), it's not just one or two, it's more than that. 

Thoughts?

On 5/14/2019 at 7:13 AM, Emo Charlie said:

Why does it matter?

Do you think it matters? If not, why not? 

Posted (edited)

I certainly don't care about ratings..If I enjoy watching someone's content I pay no mind to ratings. Why should that matter???😳  Btw you can now comment on videos on his channels. Andd soon as the haters noticed BOOM!!! Here they come 😳😂

Edited by Sheila Motko
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sheila Motko said:

I certainly don't care about ratings..If I enjoy watching someone's content I pay no mind to ratings. Why should that matter???😳  Btw you can now comment on videos on his channels. Andd soon as the haters noticed BOOM!!! Here they come 😳😂

He should just not keep the rating on...

• Shook 1

2 hours ago, Sheila Motko said:

Have you ever liked or commented positively on the man's video? Why do you appear concerned about a tiny minority of "haters" btw?

1 hour ago, Anna said:

He should just not keep the rating on...

Pros and cons of doing so? 

5 minutes ago, Emo Charlie said:

It seems to be irrelevant either way. People have their opinions... not much changes that.

The change might seem irrelevant to you, but to Onision, he felt compelled enough to change its natural state from everything allowed, to everything disallowed, at least temporarily. I'm guessing you haven't watched that video - it's very important for YouTubers to understand that:

1. Haters will always be there, however small. Even Ryan Higa, one of the most liked, down-to-earth and respected YouTubers, has a tiny fraction of "haters" or trolls, whom mightn't actually even mind Ryan Higa but might want to spark angry reacts from fans for fun. 
  2. Ratings and comments are both very important (as explained in that video), unless you're a very niche/unique channel, perhaps offering an alternative way for viewers to express their opinions such as through a sub-reddit or discord.
  3. If a hate-up has built up, it will eventually subside as time passes on. Use the opportunity allowed by comments/ratings to entice new users to your wonderful content. Never be afraid to ignore hateful comments and never be afraid to read constructive criticism carefully, and always be open to positive, warm comments, but never let your ego get too involved. Did you know, Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt predicts the whole world will be on the Web by 2020 (source).  Other sources predict everyone to be connected by 2030 at the latest. 
  4. It's not a good idea to remove positive people's intent to comment positive things on your channel - it helps viewership and makes them feel like they're reciprocating your kind words and it helps build a stronger community of loyal fans - especially when the majority are positive and given point 3. 

Those are top tips; you'll only understand if you've been observing the YouTube scene for a while. If not, please remain sceptical as you carefully analyse the potential flaws of these points. Relay when you have the time - this will help me understand my viewpoint better as well as I challenge myself. 

• Like 1

Yes I have commented positively on Onision's videos..I also have dealt with his haters, telling them politely to go visit youtubers they like instead of Onision's videos where they post mean remarks, calling him or Kai offensive names, accusing him of things he's never done etc..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sheila Motko said:

Yes I have commented positively on Onision's videos..I also have dealt with his haters, telling them politely to go visit youtubers they like instead of Onision's videos where they post mean remarks, calling him or Kai offensive names, accusing him of things he's never done etc..

I like that. Educate them with logic and love. That's the way to go. You're a true fan and that's what makes you a loyal/friendly person, I'd bet, in real life. 

The trap some people fall into is becoming too reactive. It's what happened to Dcigs. He used to respond to every single comment, so naturally, he always got himself into a reactive state of mind, which ultimately led him to being stressed in his real life... and you can guess the rest. 

Edit: this is actually a common issue among youtubers. When you're on the receiving end of negative comments, they can be difficult to deal with, especially if it's something one's not used to. But Killer Keemstar, a man who got doxxed and was caught saying racist things, even recovered. 

Edited by Kiritsugu

People will believe what they want to, comments on or off, it is what it is 😛

• Love 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Onision said:

People will believe what they want to, comments on or off, it is what it is 😛

I agree with this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anna said:

I agree with this.

What Onision says is true, and I agree too. But I've changed people's minds and opinions, and Onision has positively influenced others' actions as well, as he undoubtedly knows. 

With that said, I don't believe the goal of allowing comments / ratings is to necessarily change people's opinions, but rather, to allow positivity and constructive comments to progress where they are much needed - and because it's natural to allow it; without those two, substantial growth is next to impossible. Where negative comments are plastered, there exists a spectrum - every human being is unique, has flaws, and has an upset past. It's easy to label all the people with negative comments as "haters",  as so many people do, not least because labelling and grouping people by their "group identity" is a tribal and silly precedent in general,  but it isn't so easy to make the rational and/or stubborn people who post negative comments to consider if they just might be wrong somewhere. Winning over stupid people in an argument is next to impossible, however. 

9 hours ago, Tasch The Milf said:

Because of the haters and the lies about him.

No. This is the wrong way to look at it, and it's likely you haven't considered what I've written.

People face their problems; when the much disliked Fox News lied about Onision in the past, he took them head-on and pointed out their flaws. The incorrect thing to have done would have been to just accept that they have their false opinionated facts and let them slide - that would mean someone else could potentially be lied to as well - Fox News needed to be held accountable, for instance, and was, by Greg who put them in their place, if I'm not mistaken. 

Disabling comments/ratings seems to validate some people's opinions.

It also most certainly does not change any negative opinions of you.

It's basically like just taking a moment of silence one place, but everywhere else the fire rages on... so why pretend it does not exist?

People will think what they want, it's up to you to be the bigger person, and just let them be them, while you be you.

• Like 1

I agree with the general notion here that open discussion shouldn't be blocked by anyone.  As others here have said themselves, opinions are subject to change and some haters can be shown how they are wrong and may even accept your points.  There is nothing to gain by adding arbitrary barriers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Polaris9 said:

I agree with the general notion here that open discussion shouldn't be blocked by anyone.  As others here have said themselves, opinions are subject to change and some haters can be shown how they are wrong and may even accept your points.  There is nothing to gain by adding arbitrary barriers.

That and the person who creates content should probably focus on creating content, not what people think of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onision said:

That and the person who creates content should probably focus on creating content, not what people think of them.

I agree with the first part for sure, but I've been thinking about that second part, in general, a lot. 

Jordan Peterson (in his 12 Rules For Life) basically outlines how it is within our programming that we hierarchically organise our social position among other people; in other words, it's almost impossible not to care what other people think of you (at least deep down). My issue is that on one hand, motivational people say "don't care what other people say", but at the same time, is it not important to at least care enough to, at minimum, consider other people's views in case they have something important to say that one may have overlooked? 

If I didn't care what anyone else thought of me, I'd probably turn into a self-centred jacka** - this is because I wouldn't consider whether anyone's critical opinion was even of any importance at all. 

That's why I think it's very important to specify exactly what is meant by not caring what people think about others. 

1. It's inherent to care about what others think. Some people have valuable things to say, and others won't always have such things of value to say. What's the compromise?

2. There's also scale and timing. When is it important to not focus so much on what other people say, how long for, to what degree should the focus be impartial etc.? 

My general opinion is to consider what someone says, especially words from friends and family, but if it gets too negative or tense from anyone, allow more time, discuss with other people, and/or carefully reconsider position. There's also context to consider - YouTube is a medium where potentially hundreds of both positive and negative comments can reside - that can skew people's perceptions of reality and make confirmation bias more prominent, potentially. 

21 hours ago, Polaris9 said:

I agree, but I do believe there are occasions when it's important to purposefully add those barriers, such as a very serious type of video - though it really depends on time and context.

22 hours ago, Emo Charlie said:

It's basically like just taking a moment of silence one place, but everywhere else the fire rages on... so why pretend it does not exist?

People will think what they want, it's up to you to be the bigger person, and just let them be them, while you be you.

People with an agenda will always try to validate their opinions anyway, so disabling comments in the general case doesn't really solve anything (assuming there is something to solve/mitigate). 

I think it could change negative opinions depending on the context. 

That's why the fire should be extinguished as soon as possible, right? Especially when people like Keemstar (though arguably he wasn't that bad) and that disgusting Jake Paul had their biggest fires extinguished, that really opens eyes. 

It depends on the situation. Sometimes it's necessary to act on certain opinions (such as very degrading ones laced with false facts, such as Vice's dishonest editing of Jordan Peterson needed to be exposed and a certain news outlet calling Jordan Peterson alt-right, the backlash of which resulted in them taking down their own video), it's your decision to make the call. As Captain Levi would say: "The difference between your decision and ours is experience. But you don’t have to rely on that. CHOOSE… Believe in yourself, or believe in the survey corps and me. I don’t know… I never have. I can believe in my own abilities or the choices of the companions I trust. But no one ever knows how it will turn out. So choose for yourself, whichever decision you will regret the least."

22 hours ago, Emo Charlie said:

Also we ought to not just focus on the negative opinions. We should also pay careful attention to the positive people, more so, in fact.