The3BsPlease

The Slender Man

So I was watching a documentary about the two young girls who tried to murder their friend over the internet meme, Slender Man... I paused it & I started thinking why? Why would they ruin their lives over this? Did they honestly believe Slender Man was real?! 

Then I started thinking, is society to partially blame? There are many fictional characters that most parents tell their children are real. Examples: Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny & so on & so on... 

So how does a child distinguish what’s real & what isn’t? Should we stop telling children that these mythical characters are real? Just curious to see what you all think & why...

I think that parents telling their children that Santa and The Easter Bunny and  Toothfairy, etc is perfectly ok! After all, it’s just a part of being a kid. With that said, you can’t blame parents for someone believing that Slender Man is real. You can’t even compare Santa Claus and Slender Man. If those girls honestly thought that Slender Man is real then they have issues, not the parents. All the parents did was give them a normal childhood, they didn’t try to instill in their brains that every mythical character is real. Those girls are just the pure and utter definition of crazy. 

12 minutes ago, Anna said:

I think that parents telling their children that Santa and The Easter Bunny and  Toothfairy, etc is perfectly ok! After all, it’s just a part of being a kid. With that said, you can’t blame parents for someone believing that Slender Man is real. You can’t even compare Santa Claus and Slender Man. If those girls honestly thought that Slender Man is real then they have issues, not the parents. All the parents did was give them a normal childhood, they didn’t try to instill in their brains that every mythical character is real. Those girls are just the pure and utter definition of crazy. 

That’s the thing, they actually really believed he was real... Just like believing in God & Satan... Satan isn’t like Santa either...

Maybe we should think about things like this more if the child has access to the internet... You can monitor & restrict things for them, but you can’t always be around them hovering to make sure they don’t look at a friends device & see things they normally wouldn’t have access to... I have seen first hand how kids react to one specific YouTuber jaystation... those kids think everything is real that he shows. It’s crazy!

45 minutes ago, The3BsPlease said:

That’s the thing, they actually really believed he was real... Just like believing in God & Satan... Satan isn’t like Santa either...

*shrugs* I still think it’s not the parent’s fault. 

• Like 1

One of the children is schizophrenic.

I've followed the case closely since it happened. When mental illness comes into play, it's a whole different ballgame.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jackii-Dakota said:

One of the children is schizophrenic.

I've followed the case closely since it happened. When mental illness comes into play, it's a whole different ballgame.

You gotta admit it does make you think about it with social media so accessible... There is a child that doesn’t have schizophrenia  🤷🏼‍♀️

Edited by The3BsPlease
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The3BsPlease said:

They were 12

12?! God..thats nuts.

• Like 1