Onision

Benefits & Disadvantages of Being Gay

What do you think the benefits of being gay are?

I think a benefit is (1) No unplanned pregnancy.

A disadvantage (1) many people will hate you, just for being you.

What do you think?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Theres no real advantages or disadvantages. People will judge you for anything. I'm judged for being a single mom. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Onision said:

What do you think?

I think I agree with your point of view on this one.. people can be so judgmental

• Love 1

There’s literally no advantages or disadvantages for being gay, straight or any preference. It’s like asking the advantages between horses and donkeys. You can still ride both and have them carry resources but they are still in the same group. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I think one advantage of being gay is the fact that you get to be with someone you love and not someone society wants you to love, no unplanned pregnancy and thr fact that you are your own self and not yourself that society wants you to be as for the disadvantages I think it's just dealing with all the hate gay people receive

14 hours ago, Onision said:

What do you think?

Omg these are my thoughts EXACTLY

Ok, you guys, how about y'all walk up to a gay man, and tell him he has no disadvantages over you.

Then watch him walk out, and someone scream "F*G" at him.

Some responses were pretty much the exact same as "ALL LIVES MATTER"

So, can you please answer the question again, except this time, consider reality?

Well a lot of people in lgbt face hardships and it’s not easy for people in the community.  There are pros to the community but we don’t talk about the cons enough because these are important to address and discuss them.

Cons :There is still discrimination against LGBT, stigma, stereotypes, hate crimes, bullying. We lost a whole generation of LGBT sadly to the aids epidemic in the 80s and that is a permanent stigma associated with the gay community today. Murders/violence  targeted towards those who are lgbt also happen sadly every year which deeply hurts the members of the community/their families.Strained relationships with friends and family if they don’t accept you/having them not be in ur life ,you could face workplace discrimination(example:transgender people being banned from the military.), mental health issues are an issue that is often overlooked with some people in lgbt which causes some to become depressed or even  commit suicide due to bullying , homelessness ( about 40 percent of homeless youth are lgbt) ,drug addiction, risky behavior, harassment, being judged for who they are, 72 countries still criminalize gay relationships and in some is punishable by the death penalty sadly.  Lack of funding for certain charities or organizations for lgbt

Ima hold back on pros because I can’t really think of much right now hence why I didn’t post before. 

Pardon my long post but I don’t mean to be a Debbie downer with this post, but people need to know that this list goes on and on. Don’t get me wrong there are positives to being lgbt but it’s important to remember that people face issues being Lgbt even if it’s not right in front of us, it still happens all over the world and it’s a sad bitter reality for some. -shrugs-

It's CRAZY that anyone still discriminates against people based on things that hurt no one.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, Emo Charlie said:

It's CRAZY that anyone still discriminates against people based on things that hurt no one.

I know right! I mean, if someone is gay or transgender why is that anyone's right to discriminate against them. We're all human. I wish society wasn't so mean.

Also gay representation in media like tv,movies,music, etc is heavily censored in many countries as well like Russia for example, passed a federal law banning "Lgbt propaganda" among minors — a law designed to protect the youth of the country from what it considers harmful influences. Those who speak openly about LGBT issues among youths — even those from other countries — face fines, jail time and deportation.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, Onision said:

What do you think?

2 hours ago, Emo Charlie said:

Ok, you guys, how about y'all walk up to a gay man, and tell him he has no disadvantages over you.

Then watch him walk out, and someone scream "F*G" at him.

Some responses were pretty much the exact same as "ALL LIVES MATTER"

So, can you please answer the question again, except this time, consider reality?

I guess I'm half-gay

I wouldn't ever go up to someone who was "full gay" and tell him his life sucked and mine is better, theres just no need to do that to anyone. 

On 2/6/2019 at 12:55 AM, Carmen24U said:

I think one advantage of being gay is the fact that you get to be with someone you love and not someone society wants you to love, no unplanned pregnancy and thr fact that you are your own self and not yourself that society wants you to be as for the disadvantages I think it's just dealing with all the hate gay people receive

THIS is very well said! ^^^^

I wouldn't really think there would be many "advantages" to it, other than not giving a f●●● what society thinks, love and let love. Society doesnt think this way though. 

I can think of "Gay girl problems" to answer the second part. 

1, Having to tell Emergency Room staff "I dont need a pregnancy test, Im in a lesbian relationship.." and the awkwardness that follows, because by law if your s●● is female, they HAVE To administer a preg test most all the time to save their asses against liabilities, 

2. People have no compunction asking "So are you two sisters?" as if my relationship is any of their business.

3. "What?! You're too pretty to be a lesbian!" Siad to me or my partner, sometimes both... but Im like .... "Yeah Im with her because she's beautiful" or said vice versa. 

Those are problems off the top of my head, I know there are others ive missed. 

Even what I mentioned earlier is minor, in some countries, the downside of persuing a same s●● relationship means you could get killed,. It makes me both sad and angry at the same time that not everyone everywhere can be as free as those of us in more accepting countries. 

Advantage of being gay..no crazy ex girlfriend

Disadvantage... Having a crazy ex boyfriend.

My husband's cousin who is gay told me that. One of the best guys ever.. always been there for me and my husband.

disadvantage: (from what I've observed) short term relationships, betrayal, changing thier mind "about being gay", muniplulative partners

Unplanned pregnancy not being a thing is a big plus as a guarantee. Another plus I suppose is that you and your partner can really relate to each other in terms of being a minority which is nice. No one can understand being a minority like a fellow minority you know?

Negatives include discrimination obviously. A more minor thing though is you simply have less options and have to hope you fall in love with one of the options you have and them back at you. Then on top of that I personally find it worse when I'm in love with a straight woman than simply being in love with someone where the feeling isn't mutual. I don't know why but it just hurts more that this person simply is not built to ever love me or anyone like me. I don't blame them obviously but I guess it is a bit of a reminder that I'm very different and not compatible with everyone because I am gay (pans●●ual technically). Times like that almost make me wish I wasn't gay. Sorry to get all depressing here haha, it's just a thing that's been on my mind recently cause I fall in love way too easily with people who don't or can't love me back in that way

On 5/1/2019 at 10:10 PM, Sheila Motko said:

Advantage of being gay..no crazy ex girlfriend/boyfriend

Disadvantage... Having a crazy ex boyfriend/girlfriend.

My husband's cousin who is gay told me that. One of the best guys ever.. always been there for me and my husband.

And also significant crazy ex's..forgot to mention that😂

On 2/5/2019 at 2:32 PM, Onision said:

What do you think?

I think another advantage of being Gay could be that someone, somewhere could be a trail blazer to show other people that beng out is OK and perhaps make some folks understaand that being Gay is just as normal as any other s●●uality. 

On 5/2/2019 at 3:15 AM, Nat said:

disadvantage: (from what I've observed) short term relationships, betrayal, changing thier mind "about being gay", muniplulative partners

This is LITERALLY everyone and just not exclusive to people in the LBGTQ community. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QueenofthehouseRose said:

This is LITERALLY everyone and just not exclusive to people in the LBGTQ community. 

I didnt say it was exclusive to the LGBTQ communities, but in my personal experience with close friends this is what I've seen. Its not an argument , it's a personal experience. 

Benefits is that a male partner would likely be more independent than a wife I guess. But the disadvantage of it would more likely give you horrible STDs like HIV and aids. Even if your male partner is a clean virgin. HIV hates gay people even more than Nazis and republicans do.

42 minutes ago, Tasch The Milf said:

Benefits is that a male partner would likely be more independent than a wife I guess. But the disadvantage of it would more likely give you horrible STDs like HIV and aids. Even if your male partner is a clean virgin. HIV hates gay people even more than Nazis and republicans do.

HIV and AIDS is not some magical sort of disease that just randomly happens, one partner must be infected to spread it to their partner. There are groups like Log Cabin Republicans and others that totally support LGBT Rights and ARE Republicans. I'd rather be hated for being half-gay (Bi) than be liked by the Democrats simply because of being Bi and no other reason. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sloppy Mommy said:

HIV and AIDS is not some magical sort of disease that just randomly happens, one partner must be infected to spread it to their partner. There are groups like Log Cabin Republicans and others that totally support LGBT Rights and ARE Republicans. I'd rather be hated for being half-gay (Bi) than be liked by the Democrats simply because of being Bi and no other reason. 

Well I'm a right wing libertarian so I don't believe in laws against anything unless it's something serious like r●●●, unprovoked assault or murder. I'm not against gay rights either. I think gay marriage should be legal. I just think it's dangerous because of aids. The way smoking is legal but dangerous because of lung cancer.  

Edited by Tasch The Milf