Sign in to follow this  
Taraaf

Favourite wild animal?

Pets are wonderful and we obviously love our pets. But what about those animals that we just simply can't domesticate? Let's give some appreciation to those wild beautiful beasts! 

I absolutely LOVE Orcas. They are so incredibly beautiful. From there overall appearance to their overwhelming presence. There's just something about Orcas. Would absolutely love to go whale watching and see an orca one day. Ps: please don't ever go to Sea world 😧

istock-476445611.jpg

Fennec Foxes are absolutely adorable, the same with Servals (can be confused with Cheetahs)! I also really love horses, they are just so majestic and beautiful.

• Like 1

wolves and tigers.  and other big cats but ive always loved tigers.  mountain lions/cougars as well.  orcas and elephants for big ol' mammals.  their sense of family and emotion is amazing. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Taraaf said:

Ps: please don't ever go to Sea world 😧

istock-476445611.jpg

I don't know if Sea World maybe got worse over the years, obviously the way the entire industry obtains their animals and that most of the time they take animals out of the wild, from their families when they are young (and orcas have a strong family bond, their own language and emotions) is messed up, but i went to sea world  once when i was a kid, i was 10 or 11 i think, and  i remember they would cancel shows if the animals didnt want to come out and perform.  the whales did perform that day, i think it was shamu's daughter that we saw, it was in the early/mid 90s) but yea the orcas were amazing, there were two of them that came out and then after that the dolphins were supposed to come out and they cancelled that show because they didnt want to perform.  later on in the day they did come out and we were able to see the dolphins but they didnt do a whole show they just swam around and we got to see a feeding (and honestly just watching a feeding is entertaining enough because dolphins act so silly and happy and splash around and make excited noises when they are getting fed lol)  and they chose like one or two kids to come down and pet them and 'help' feed (i did not get chosen lol)  
i dont know if maybe just the trainers working that day were more attentive but they seemed like they cared about the animals feelings, it sucks that a lot of the people there and management probably just sees it as a business nd eventually if the animals keep refusing to perform they probably ended up having to force them to more and more over the years just to make money.  

Edited by AnnaSantina

On 2/11/2019 at 11:10 PM, AnnaSantina said:

I don't know if Sea World maybe got worse over the years, obviously the way the entire industry obtains their animals and that most of the time they take animals out of the wild, from their families when they are young (and orcas have a strong family bond, their own language and emotions) is messed up, but i went to sea world  once when i was a kid, i was 10 or 11 i think, and  i remember they would cancel shows if the animals didnt want to come out and perform.  the whales did perform that day, i think it was shamu's daughter that we saw, it was in the early/mid 90s) but yea the orcas were amazing, there were two of them that came out and then after that the dolphins were supposed to come out and they cancelled that show because they didnt want to perform.  later on in the day they did come out and we were able to see the dolphins but they didnt do a whole show they just swam around and we got to see a feeding (and honestly just watching a feeding is entertaining enough because dolphins act so silly and happy and splash around and make excited noises when they are getting fed lol)  and they chose like one or two kids to come down and pet them and 'help' feed (i did not get chosen lol)  
i dont know if maybe just the trainers working that day were more attentive but they seemed like they cared about the animals feelings, it sucks that a lot of the people there and management probably just sees it as a business nd eventually if the animals keep refusing to perform they probably ended up having to force them to more and more over the years just to make money.  

I do not doubt that trainers or people working with the orcas in captivity care deeply for the orcas and their well-being. When you work with an animal like that you're going to get attached and try and make the situation as easy for them as possible. 

I have a problem with animals like that being in captivity at all. I especially have a problem with the amount of space they give them. These animals are very smart, very large, and social. They need their group to go on. It's not right to keep them in a pool. 

I'd much rather go whale watching from a boat and see they're magnificence on they're terms. 

Also I'm one of those kids that never got to go to Sea world or anything like that, so maybe I'm a little bitter? 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Taraaf said:

I do not doubt that trainers or people working with the orcas in captivity care deeply for the orcas and their well-being. When you work with an animal like that you're going to get attached and try and make the situation as easy for them as possible. 

I have a problem with animals like that being in captivity at all. I especially have a problem with the amount of space they give them. These animals are very smart, very large, and social. They need their group to go on. It's not right to keep them in a pool. 

I'd much rather go whale watching from a boat and see they're magnificence on they're terms. 

Also I'm one of those kids that never got to go to Sea world or anything like that, so maybe I'm a little bitter? 😂

yes, exactly- those animals shouldnt be in captivity ESPECIALLY in the size tanks they keep them in which is actually dangerous to their health - they dont get enough excercise and the small amount of space just swimming in circles gives them mental disorders, ocd, etc wheras that would usually swim long disances, like hundreds of MILES at a time, they can only swim in circles (and they can live to over a 100 years in the wild, and most barely live to maybe 50 tops in captivity--- thats HALF their natural lifespan cut from them)  
and maybe they are a little more used to this if born in captivity, but like i said, a lot of them are born IN the wild and captured, taken from their families, etc.  and being such social animals, this is also detrimental to their health and quality of life.  they are SEVERELY affected by the loss of family - like a human would be, perhaps even more- they have very HIGH levels of emotion and consciousness and actually i think use more of their brains than humans even do, which would make them even more in touch with their thought and emotion.  

so yea, i wasnt defending Sea World for what they are, i was just saying at least in the past they TRIED to treat the animals well and didnt force them to work, but i read a lot of articles recenntly and documentaries about how they would beat and starve the animals and use tactics to force them to perform and a lot of that is what causes them to lash out in the instances where trainers get killed and dragged under, etc.  the animals are just....essentially mentally ill at that point and even if they love the trainer and have a relationship with them, they dont care in the moment and act out in frustration.  they are not BAD animals, just ill and being mistreated.  
i feel like sea world has gone way downhill  like they dont even try anymore.  like when i was there i was bummed that we didnt get to see the dolphin show but i was also happy that they didnt force the animals to work and just seeing the feeding and everything was fine.  (and the dolphins actually looked happy when they were getting fed, but then dolphins are a LOT smaller and maybe dont require as much space...  they're able to keep multiple dolphins in an area whereas can probably only fit one whale per tank which keeps them in isolation -- like the dolphins are prob. happier since they at least have someone to hang out with, whales and dolphins are both very social-- the whale has nobody 😞  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 10:25 PM, alexsis.dimarzio@yahoo.com said:

I like kinkajous (pictured here) I also like llamas and lemurs.

All different kinds of wild animals, but those are my faves. I like any kind 

of exotic/rare wild animals. 😊

kinkajou.jpg

look similar to Fisher cats... we have fishers up here in new hampshire.  they are cute but one ate my bunnies though 😞    they're related to weasels, martens and wolverinesfishwendorff004-1024x682.jpg