Sign in to follow this  
Lilith

True Crime

Apologies for starting this in the Relationships subforum, I didn't see one that fit the subject any better. Considered "Politics" or "Opinions", but I think "Relationships" fits best because the fascination with true crime is a deeply personal one for most.

Are you interested in any true crime cases? Stalkers, murderers, scams, hoaxes, all types of crime...

Links and videos welcome.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Onision said:

I like the True Crime show on HBO 😛

I'll have to check that out...

Do you have an opinion on Soaked in Bleach, as a Nirvana fan?

To really get the thread starting, I'll recommend two documentaries that I don't see discussed enough. 

The Imposter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuFOX0Sy_o

This one is just bizarre and leaves you uneasy. 

Icarus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoRdSTrR-4

This just left me sad.

• Love 1

Just now, Spacequeen said:

I think Courtney killed Kurt!!! I’ve been to the bridge he used to live under sad stuff...

Wow, that must be an odd place to experience. Did the documentary make up your mind or can you point out other sources? I'm very interested in this subject.

• Love 1

I also sat on a couch he slept on! The positioning of the gun and that Kurt was on too much dope to operate a shotgun is what convinced me... Kurt and Courtney is also a good documentary.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Spacequeen said:

I also sat on a couch he slept on! The positioning of the gun and that Kurt was on too much dope to operate a shotgun is what convinced me... Kurt and Courtney is also a good documentary.

I haven't watched that one yet. How was it to sit on the couch? 

• Love 1

The staircase is a good one (but extremely biased)

On 2/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, Lilith said:

I'll have to check that out...

Do you have an opinion on Soaked in Bleach, as a Nirvana fan?

To really get the thread starting, I'll recommend two documentaries that I don't see discussed enough. 

The Imposter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuFOX0Sy_o

This one is just bizarre and leaves you uneasy. 

Icarus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXoRdSTrR-4

This just left me sad.

The imposter fucked me up!

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Mae said:

The staircase is a good one (but extremely biased)

The imposter fucked me up!

I haven't watched The Staircase yet, but I've heard very good things. The Imposter is just unsettling. I still wonder what the truth is.

• Love 1

True Crime is my jam!

I love this thread already.

Does anyone have theories on the Zodiac killer?

6 minutes ago, Cloudy said:

True Crime is my jam!

I love this thread already.

Does anyone have theories on the Zodiac killer?

No clue but he’s so fascinating. Do you have any theories? 

• Love 2

17 minutes ago, Mae said:

No clue but he’s so fascinating. Do you have any theories? 

No, but it's just so weird and interesting.

• Love 1

On 2/17/2019 at 8:38 PM, Spacequeen said:

As someone who did opiates, the "too much dope to operate a shotgun" theory doesnt hold much water for me.
when you do opiates for as long as he did you develop a tolerance and when they say however many time like say he had 10x the amount that would kill someone--- that doesnt mean as much because he has developed a tolerance to being able to take that much. the fatal limit is directed at people who dont use regularly and because everyones tolerance is different, its hard to even say what the limit is for a habitual user (which is also what makes it dangerous -- a lot of the time people if they are not able to get drugs for a certain amount of time their tolerance goes down and then when they finally get them they do as much as they were used to doing before and it causes an OD b/c they are not used to doing as much)  something to remember about kurt also is that he had just fled rehab  prior to his death, so he really may have had his tolerance go down a little bit which would have attributed to him overdosing. 
even still, you dont die and it usually doesnt hit you right away, even with injecting it his a lot quicker but you wouldnt immediately just pass out.  he may have had time to shoot the gun and possibly was planning on committing suicide right then and there and used the heroin to numb the pain of his own upcoming death. 
 so.... with that theory im undecided on the courtney thing, i used to think she did it when i was younger but not really quite as convinced anymore and i try to give the benefit of the doubt b/c innocent until proven, etc.  if she is innocent, it must be terrible to be accused of that after losing your husband.  

• Love 1

On 2/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, Spacequeen said:

I think Courtney killed Kurt!!! I’ve been to the bridge he used to live under sad stuff...

I think she paid someone to.. first... The drug in his system was 3x of what he took..under the influence of that much would have made it almost impossible for Kurt to pull the trigger. But everything media approchs her ( Cortney Love) and asks her about it, she threatens to sue.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Cloudy said:

This is so creepy

This is why I don't use any of these devices.

• Love 1

I will post a few interesting articles for anyone to peruse. Please let me know if it gets too spam-my.

The disappearance of the Eilean Mor lighthouse keepers.

The scene found by the people that went to check why there was no response was quite standard yet slightly off. 2 of the 3 water proof jackets were missing and in the kitchen they found pretty much everything normal except that one chair laying on the floor and there was still a meal on a table, suggesting that maybe they left in a hurry. The lightkeepers were nowhere.

The only clues that were gathered came from the lighthouse's log. The entries the last few days there were written were weird:

severe winds the likes of which I have never seen before in twenty years. The log attendant, Thomas Marshall, wrote also noticed that James Ducat, the Principal Keeper, had been 'very quiet’ and that the third assistant, William McArthur, had been crying. What is strange about the last thing is that William McArthur was a seasoned mariner, and was known on the Scottish mainland as a tough guy. Storms shouldn't have been a big deal.

Entries the day later stated that the storm was still raging even worse that before, and that the lighthouse keepers had been praying for it to stop. Btw the lighthouse that was 150 feet above sea level, and not only they should have been perfectly safe but they should have known that. They were very experienced.

The thing is that no storms were reported in the whole area in any of the days close to the entries. The weather was calm.

The final log entry was made the day after. It said ‘Storm ended, sea calm. God is over all’.

• Love 1

Warning: R●●●

Solved, but really creepy. I just watched a show about this woman that was kept in a coffin-sized box for 23 hours a day for 7 YEARS!

She was brought out for an hour a day, to be R●●●d by a couple.

The coffin was kept under a bed. She said it was like 100degrees in the box. It was hard to breathe in the box. These people put her in the box, put it under a bed, shoved a bunch of crap around it, and then slept on the bed.

23 hours a day! In a wooden box! Under a bed! 😞

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3778568/Woman-imprisoned-wooden-box-seven-years-opens-ordeal.html

The guy actually took her home to visit her parents after a few years. They told the parents that they were engaged. Parents even took a photo of them.

Then she went back to the box!

The wife eventually helper her escape. (after raping her for 7 years). The wife was jealous of her - thought the husband was in love with her...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_Colleen_Stan

Apparently she went on to get an accounting degree, married and have a daughter. While also setting up an organization to help abused women with the guys wife who ultimately turned the husband in. How the f●●● did this lady end up normal

Edited by Lilith
  • Love 1

The Monster with 21 Faces

In the 1980s, over a period of 17 months, Japan was held in the grip of terror by just such a powerful criminal force. The case would turn the country on its head, push police to their limits, dispel the notion that Japan was a completely safe place, and 30 years later remains just as unsolved and mysterious as it has ever been. This is the story of the notorious Monster with 21 Faces, an organization led by an enigmatic figure which proved to be just as untouchable and elusive as any super villain, which led the police on an unprecedented manhunt and whirlwind investigation for a crime they would never get to the bottom of, and which has gone on to become one of the most puzzling unsolved crimes in Japanese history.

• Love 1

Posted by 13 hours ago

Did a Kansas City cop kill 15-year-old David Eyman, burned alive in a ditch in 1974?

renderTimingPixel.png

Kansas City teen was tied up, burned in 1974. Now, his sister searches for the killer

Found still smoldering and later identified by a ring and a fingerprint, the body of fifteen-year-old David Eyman, tied up like a steer bound in a rodeo, was discovered in a Missouri ditch near Kansas City on August 14, 1974.

No one has ever been charged with his murder.

The teen was walking home from a girlfriend's that night, and was found by an officer who "had a record of discovering more fires of suspicious origin than any other law enforcement officer in the area."

Police questioned the Raymore officer who said he found Eyman. Detectives suspected him.

Eyman's mother, Wanda, sleuthed an area biker gang, ultimately to no avail.

Now Eyman's sister, Susan Rosemann, continues the search for the killer.

The Kansas City Star contacted by a text message a woman who is the daughter of the man Rosemann thought might be the former officer.

A message from the woman quickly followed: We had the wrong man. Her father was never a police officer.

And the man’s Facebook page was taken down.

Who killed the teenager in such a violent fashion? Was it the cop - and if so, why? Were bikers the killers, and why - again - was the crime committed?

Is the former cop still alive, and have Susan Rosemann and the newspaper identified the right man?

Forty-five years later, the questions remain unanswered.

• Love 1

East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker OFFICIALLY CAUGHT - everything we know so far

renderTimingPixel.png

It's real, the EAR/ONS has been officially captured. What we know so far:

• He is 100% DNA match. In other words, this is definitely the guy,

• He is in custody and IS talking,

• He was a police officer in Auburn, CA although was fired from this position after being caught shoplifting in 1979,

• This means he was a member of law enforcement for all but one of the EAR attacks. After his dismissal from the force he escalated exclusively to murder, (with thanks to /u/ragnarockette for this clarification)

• Was born in 1947 (possibly 1945), so would have been in the upper predicted age range (based on victim statements),

• He has confirmed to LE that he was also the Visalia Ransacker (a B&E spree the pre-dated the main EAR attacks) Much disagreement was originally had as to whether the VR was or was not the EAR. Turns out he was!

• Law enforcement will be giving a press conference at 12pm (PST) TODAY - I originally said it would be tomorrow (Thursday) but forgot that time differences exist (sigh). I'm in the UK, so several hours ahead of the US - my excitement got the better of me!

• Check out /r/EARONS for more information on the crimes,

• Current publicly available information comes from this alert that states a 'possible break' in the case. The details, including those reported above are from several verified inside sources,

UPDATE 1 - The press conference is currently scheduled for 12pm PST, 3pm ET, 8pm GMT, 9pm CET, 5AM AEST - It would seem you can stream the press conference here although alternative/better streams may become available closer to the time,

UPDATE 2 - It seems a name has been found in regards to the police officer who was fired for shoplifting in 1979. The same name is currently listed as 'in custody' on murder charges on the live update Sacramento PD website.

UPDATE 3 - Ok so it is looking very likely we have found the name of the guy. It's important to stress this person has not been officially named by the police, although all information would certainly suggest this is him. A newspaper article regarding the fired Auburn policeman can be found here and a man with the same name and age range is now in custody in Sacramento on murder charges in Ventura County (where two people were killed by EAR/ONS...). That publicly available information can be seen here. Interestingly, the information that can be found for this man matches to known EAR/ONS dates of importance i.e. a daughter was born at the same time an unexplained gap in attacks took place. That this is him is entirely supposition based on the information we do have. It's likely (if not it's one HELL of a coincidence!), but until it's officially confirmed to be him (or not) then this is purely a probable suspect. N.B THIS SUSPECT HAS NOW BEEN CONFIRMED

UPDATE 4 - The news of his arrest is gaining traction with various media outlets and the name of our probable suspect above is also being publicly mentioned by a lot of them, so take from that what you will.

UPDATE 5 - The policeman fired for shoplifting (that sources confirmed earlier is the EAR/ONS) stole dog repellent and a hammer. EAR/ONS had an uncanny ability to evade/distract dogs inside the homes he entered and nobody was sure how. I guess now we know! As for the hammer....

UPDATE 6 - Ok, I'm going to take a punt on this and name the main suspect. It would seem our man is Joseph James DeAngelo. I'm only doing this as inside sources confirm EAR/ONS suspect under arrest was an Auburn policeman who was fired for shoplifting. DeAngelo was also an Auburn police officer arrested and fired for shoplifting. A lot of other things fit, the most recent being discovery that DeAngelo was engaged to a woman named Bonny, a name EAR/ONS was repeatedly heard to mutter to himself during some of the attacks.... I think it's fair to say this is the guy. If I'm wrong, I'll remove it immediately, but to save constant updates that might get confusing, I'll go out on a limb. - N.B THIS HAS NOW BEEN CONFIRMED

UPDATE 7 - Seems DeAngelo also spent time in the Navy (LE long suspected military connections) and this could explain the habit EAR/ONS had for using quite complicated/uncommon knots. An alleged picture of DeAngelo during his time in the Navy can be seen here although this is based on other people sleuthing and is not an officially released photo by police.

UPDATE 7.1 - A few people have oh-so-politely messaged me to say I should not have named Joseph DeAngelo as he could be "completely innocent". Just a quick reminder that DeAngelo, whether EAR/ONS or not, is currently under arrest on the charge of double homicide and all information I am posting is publicly available. I can't speak for any other posters who may be finding/posting private information, but anything I add here is publicly available and is relevant to the case.

UPDATE 8 - /u/Elcyis is currently hosting an excellent live thread and will be updating everytime there's a new development (particularly useful for media outlet mentions). You can check this out over here

UPDATE 9 - A few pictures of DeAngelo are starting to pop up with comparisons against EAR/ONS composites. At the risk of further inflaming those who feel a man currently in custody for double homicide is innocent and should not have his name associated with EAR/ONS, I'll post two of those composites here abd here for the curious. As above, this guy has not been confirmed as the same man in custody for the EAR/ONS murders, although it's looking bloody likely at this stage... N.B DeANGELO IS NOW CONFIRMED AS THE SUSPECT

UPDATE 10 - Big one now, news sites are starting to directly name DeAngelo as the EAR/ONS suspect... Daily Beast article here (with thanks to /u/aprildismay for noting this development!)

UPDATE 11 - Not much to report yet beyond the increase in media outlets picking this up. The live thread here is excellent at catching whenever a new article/tweet/media post etc is published. Only a few hours until the press conference now, although worth noting most of the newer media articles are directly naming DeAngelo as EAR/ONS.

UPDATE 12 - One of the EAR victims announced that police confirmed to her that they have caught him.

UPDATE 13 - Direct quote from this article - "[the suspect] was identified after a renewed push of the investigation by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department and District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert, a source said".

UPDATE 14 - OK, the big media hitters are starting to report the arrest of EAR/ONS now and almost all are directly naming DeAngelo as the suspect. I think, in place of something else happening in the interim, I'll stop updating until after the press conference later on. I am very very much hoping the final update will be to confirm DeAngelo is the one, although at this stage it seems pretty certain. In the meantime, thank you for the 8x gold (!!!!) and the kind words. I am BUZZINGthat he has finally been caught. This is something of a pet case for me and I truly believed it would go unsolved. See you all post press conference.

MAJOR UPDATE 15 - Fox 40 has confirmed the EAR/ONS suspect under arrest IS Joseph DeAngelo

UPDATE 16 - From /u/Elcyis - "FBI agents and a heavy police presence is currently at DeAngelo's residence. Can be seen collecting evidence from the household and taking photographs. Reporter from Fox40 has spoken to neighbours. One neighbour said they have known this man their entire life and is completely surprised at this news."

UPDATE 17 - from /u/naitpac-x - FOX40 footage apparently showing the retrieval from DeAngelos house of items stolen from the victims https://streamable.com/mbo95.

UPDATE 18 - Press conference ongoing. EAR/ONE CONFIRMED as the murderer of the Maggiores.

UPDATE 19 - DeAngelo officially CONFIRMED as EAR/ONS. Mugshot released. Press conference intense and emotional.

UPDATE 20 - With a comment update from /u/Shammah51 - Reporter: "Can you corroborate that there was a tip that came Into either the FBI or one of your offices last week?"
DA Schubert: "No that's not correct".
Ultimately His DNA was acquired and checked against that collected from the time of the crimes and DeAngelo was arrested last night.

UPDATE 21 - Much press conference discussion regarding R●●● test kits and DNA. Brother of victim speaks and praises LE but is deeply critical of state of CA use of DNA testing. Better DNA testing to be implemented in future.

UPDATE 22 - ALL EAR/ONS crimes are linked by DNA although the charges are currently relating to 2 murders in Ventura County. "Further charges upcoming"

UPDATE 23 - He does have a family. Adult children. LE not prepared to give more info on family at this time.

UPDATE 24 - His name has NOT been mentioned before and "answers will come out in a timely fashion"

UPDATE 25 - This is crucial guys, LE have confirmed they "have no indication that EAR/ONS has ties to Australia". He is NOT Mr. Cruel.

UPDATE 26 - With thanks to /u/ARandomCdn, a wonderfully clear mugshot of DeAngelo, aka EAR/ONS

UPDATE 27 - Ok guys, I'm in the UK and it's 10pm here. I've been on this since 8am my time and I'm drained! I feel there won't be much else I can add this evening now, so I'll tentatively call this the final update. As it stands, we freaking KNOW WHO EAR/ONS IS, we have pics, we have basic info and we have the start of answers (he IS Vr, he DID kill the Maggiores). Info will be insane the next few weeks as we pick through answers, but until then I need sleep! Thank you all for the updates, amendments, comments, gold and feedback. Special thanks to the nutters who PM'd me random S●●●. See you all tomorrow. I am BUZZING! Guys.....EAR/ONS HAS BEEN CAUGHT!!!!!

• Love 1

Tamam Shud, or Somerton man. Just really bizarre and creepy, it's got an x-files vibe to it.

TLDR; Well dressed, athletic guy is found dead leaning against a seawall on an Australian beach. No cause of death is discovered despite autopsy. No ID, no labels on any of his clothes, nothing to identify him, but a scrap of printed paper saying "Taman Shud" found in his pocket. No one is reported missing. Later a briefcase is found in a locker at a train station attributed to him, with a few clothes marked T. Keane - no one named that is found missing. When the info about the note is released, one of the locals finds an odd book in the backseat of his car in the area that the man died in. The piece of paper matches the torn out bit in the book. In the book there is a very odd Cipher that no one has been able decode since and a phone number. Blood pooling in the body suggest he didn't die with his head propped against the wall as he was found. Half smoked cigarette found fallen out of his mouth, but if he died in a different position, would be a little odd. Body was embalmed and put on display for 6 months, and received a lot of attention, but no one can remember having seen him. No family or anyone knowing him have ever been found. Tamam Shud roughly means "the end times"

Thread, youtube

• Love 1

The Hinterkaifeck Murders

Everything about is seems like a precursor to ten thousand horror films:

• Brutal bloody murders - check!

• Imbeciles not worried about mysterious footprints, and noises in the attic? - check!

• Grim foreboding forcing people to flee before the murders - check!

• People going one by one into the abattoir to be slaughtered - check!

• Crime unsolved to this day - check!

• Love 1