Sign in to follow this  
Lilith

True Crime

The disappearance of Frederick Valentich, an Australian pilot who was flying from Melbourne who disappeared without a trace. He reported that a giant metal circular object was hovering above his plane and Air Traffic Control told him there was no other traffic on that route. Radio cuts out after a loud metal screeching sound and he was never seen again.

The Australian government scrapped the documents of the event & the radio recording after it was accidentally aired on public radio, they told Frederick's father that they will allow him to see his son's body on the basis that he never tells anyone about what happened, and the media made up a fake story that the guy was obsessed with aliens thus taking away his credibility for what he reported.

• Love 1

The Devil's Footprints

All over England one snowy morning, hundreds of miles of hoof prints appeared in the snow. What was unusual was not only how far and wide the reports were, but where the prints went - across open fields and over rooftops, taking a straight path through everything where it would be impossible for an animal to make them.

Still hasn't been completely explained.

• Love 1

Hugely heavy coffins which move around by themselves between burials. Not just move but seem to have been tossed around. But the tomb is sealed from without. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-chase-vault Weird as hell. I read about this in a book of strange tales and nearly all were debunked - this was one of the exceptions.

• Love 1

https://www.glamour.com/story/why-is-nobody-talking-about-marilyn-mansons-fantasy-of-killing-evan-rachel-wood

Speculations aside, Manson explicitly confessed to having violent fantasies toward Wood. He even describes a gruesome pattern of emotional abuse, pointing to Christmas Day in 2008, which he describes as a low point of their relationship: “Every time I called her that day—I called 158 times—I took a razor blade and I cut myself on my face or on my hands.” He continued, “I wanted to show her the pain she put me through. It was like, ‘I want you to physically see what you’ve done.’”

But back in 2009 nobody even batted an eyelash at these overt admissions of violence. People brushed it off as a part of Manson’s murderous image, with some outlets claiming Wood was “smart to break up” with Manson, designating him a “damaged dude,” rather than calling him exactly what he was admitting to being: an abuser. Other media outlets made blithe jokes like, “Anyone got a spare straight jacket?” There were no protections for Wood, little sympathy, and a shocking lack of actual concern for her safety.

But according to Wood’s testimony, the abusive experiences she described happened “a decade ago” and seem parallel to Manson’s admissions. She recounted “sick rituals” of “binding me up by my hands and feet to be mentally and physically tortured until my abuser felt I had proven my love for them.” The actress added, “In this moment, while I was tied up and being beaten and told unspeakable things, I truly felt like I could die. Not just because my abuser said to me, ‘I could kill you right now,’ but because in that moment I felt like I left my body and I was too afraid to run. He would find me.”

• Love 1

In April 2018, the public was shocked when authorities announced they had apprehended a suspect in the Golden State Killer (GSK) case. The criminal terrorized California during the '70s and '80s in a spree of multiple R●●●s and 12 suspected 12 fatalities, but he abruptly ended his reign of terror in the late '80s, leading to widespread speculation he died and his identity would never be revealed.

The suspect, Joseph James DeAngelo, was identified via complex DNA profiling, though. Investigators compared DNA found at various GSK crime scenes to DNA publicly available via genealogical websites. This led them to a connection via a family member of DeAngelo. 

What makes this twist even more bizarre was that DeAngelo was living a relatively normal life near Sacramento, California. Once a retired police officer, he was a regular at a local diner where his only notable trait was being grouchy. It remains unclear why he decided to end his crime spree and resume a normal life. 

• Love 1

Sometimes it takes a long time before a twist is finally recognized, and in the case of Jeffrey Dahmer, it took many years for his neighbors to realize the personal impact of Dahmer's violence. Pamela Bass was one of Jeffrey Dahmer's neighbors when he lived in Milwaukee. The two were congenial, so much so that when he offered her a sandwich one day before his arrest, she accepted it. 

After it was discovered that Dahmer was a cannibal as well as an amateur mad scientist, Bass began to worry that she might have eaten human meat. In the film The Jeffrey Dahmer Files she said, "I have probably eaten someone's body part." 

• Love 1

Blood is thicker than water, unless your brother is the Unabomber. Ted Kaczynski, more commonly referred to as the Unabomber, wrote a manifesto that he wanted published by the biggest US media outlets in 1995. In it, he stated that if his demands were not met, he would continue his bombing campaign. 

Unfortunately for Kaczynski, his life's work was also his life's undoing. His brother David read the manifesto, recognized his brother's handwriting and turned him into the federal authorities. To hear David tell it, he never planned on reading the manifesto, even after recognizing similarities between the bomber's theories and his brother's letters that were written while he was a professor at the University of California at Berkeley. 

Despite Ted's arrest, David had trouble believing his brother was the Unabomber. "I had never seen him violent, not toward me, not toward anyone. I tended to see his anger turned inward."

• Love 1

The story of Charles Manson, his life, and his "family" is full of more strange twists than an M. Night Shyamalan retrospective, but one of the weirdest twists is the mystery of Bernard Crowe. Before his infamous actions, Manson was in a dispute over drug money with Crowe. Worried about the money, and Crowe's affiliation with the Black Panthers, Manson went over to Crowe's apartment and shot him.

Manson thought he took Crowe's life, and when he was arrested for fatally harming Tate and LaBianca in 1969, he included Crowe as one of his victims. Except Crowe was alive. He had never gone to the police about the shooting, never told any of his fellow Black Panthers about it, and never retaliated against Manson, leaving the cult leader to believe Crowe was dead.

Susan Atkins - a member of the Mason family - wrote in her book The Myth of Helter Skelter that Manson didn't realize Crowe was alive until he was arrested for a crime unrelated to Manson. 

• Love 1

Dean Corll preyed upon young men in the Houston area between 1970 to 1973. What ultimately brought him down was not a police investigation, but one of his own henchmen. Corll R●●●d and murdered at least 28 young men with the help of David Brooks and Elmer Wayne Henley - two teenage henchmen. It's likely Corll would have continued to assault men until police finally caught on, but when Corll attacked Rhonda Williams, a 15-year-old friend of Henley's, his spreed ended.  

Henley invited Williams back to Corll's house after her alcoholic father attacked her. The two drank and did drugs before going to sleep. After waking up in a stoned stupor, Henley discovered Corll tied up Williams and a teen boy who Henley had brought for Corll the day before. Henley himself had been tied up, but Corll let him go after Henley agreed to attack Williams. Instead, he shot Corll, ending his life. 

He later went to the police detailing Corll's crimes and showing them where they had gotten rid of the bodies. 

• Love 1

Dennis Rader, also known as the BTK Killer, was cocky - so cocky that he would send taunting messages to the police officers investigating him. It was in one of those messages that police used to trace Rader to his home and arrest him.

Rader acted maliciously during a period of 17 years, taking lengthy breaks between casualties. He was obsessed with being considered the best and scariest criminal and getting credit for his work. He taunted the Wichita Police Department, sending them poems about victims and snapshots of the bodies. He left cereal boxes around town with information that only he could know.

In 2004, The Wichita Eagle wrote an article speculating the unnamed criminal had either died or been put in jail, since there hadn't been a BTK attack in a decade. Angered by this, Rader began sending the paper letters telling them he was still alive and free. In a message left at a hardware store, he asked whether a message left on a floppy disk could be traced. Investigators said no, and Rader sent a floppy disk with a document saved on it.

Also saved on the disk was the name "Dennis" and a location of where the disk was used - Rader's church. He was arrested, and DNA evidence from the scenes matched Rader. Some believe Rader knew exactly what he was doing and that he wanted to be caught. Others believe he wasn't as smart as he thought he was and ended up telegraphing his final play completely on accident.

• Love 1

Andrei Chikatilo was an infamous criminal. He began in 1973 while he was a teacher in the Ukraine. He routinely s●●ually assaulted his students without facing any formal discipline. When he was caught abusing students, he was usually told he could quit his job or be fired. This allowed him to move from school to school unnoticed. He escalated from s●●ually assaulting his victims to taking the lives of young runaways, s●● workers, and homeless women. 

Police and media outlets began noticing the deaths, and estimated there was a serial killer moving around Russia and the Ukraine. They noted the responsible party had a job that allowed them to move freely throughout the country (by this time Chikatilo was working at a locomotive factory and traveled quite extensively.) 

It turned out Chikatilo was reading all of this and using it to evade capture until 1990. 

• Love 1

In 2003, Robert Kissel was poisoned and beaten to death by his wife, Nancy. After her arrest, she alleged Robert subjected her to years of s●●ual sadism while abusing drugs and alcohol. Nancy was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison.

It seemed like a cut-and-dry story. But then, three years later, Robert's brother Andrew was found posthumously with his hands and feet bound in the basement of his Greenwich home. Robert received the same treatment years before.

At the time of Andrew's passing, author Joe McGinniss was working on a book about Robert's death. While the two incidents were not connected directly, McGinnis noted it was a strange twist that both brothers would suffer in the exact same way. 

McGinniss said the book, "became a very different story. A brother who had been a very minor character in my book now meets the same fate. Clearly, this gives it a dimension beyond the average family tragedy."

• Love 1

Usually, criminals aren't apt to tell the police about their crimes. Not Gary Ridgway, also known as the Green River Killer. In a weird twist on the typical interrogation story, Ridge was so excited about being able to revel in the glory of being "accomplished" he immediately gave the police information about everyone he hurt.

During his confession, while police were trying to pin him for 49 different attacks, Ridgway one-upped them and admitted to ending 71 victims' lives

• Love 1

In 2012, Shayna Hubers shot and killed her boyfriend 29-year-old lawyer Ryan Poston. Despite behaving bizarrely when she was being interrogated, Hubers' lawyers would go on to claim self defense. Hubers had a by-the-books trial, and she was convicted by a jury and ordered to serve 40 years in prison. In a surprise ending, however, Hubers was awarded a new trial.

Why? One of her jurors was a convicted felon, and in Kentucky - where the trial was held - felons aren't allowed to serve on juries. The juror in question said he fell behind on child support payments more than 20 years ago, doesn’t remember pleading guilty in the case, and didn’t realize he was a convicted felon. 

Hubers's case was thrown out completely, and she was awarded an entirely new trial. It's likely that Hubers's team is going to take the first trial as a practice run, and fine tune their defense to help her get out of her mess. 

• Love 1

An Indiana sheriff's deputy whose house was burglarized was able to recover his stolen TV - five years after it was stolen.

Deputy Ricky Buchanan was driving home from a meeting in 2008 when he heard a report over his radio about a burglary. The address? His house. He rushed home to find the thieves made of with his 32-inch Viore TV. 

Fast forward five years later, when a tip came in about a pair of brothers suspected of multiple burglaries in Durham County, Indiana. After they were apprehended, police officers found hundreds of stolen items around their home: jewelry, high school diplomas, handguns, and a 32-inch Viore television

• Love 1

There's a 50-square-mile section in Yellowstone National Park where one can get away with murder and other crimes. Brian Kalt, a Michigan State University law professor, discovered the loophole in 2005 while researching jurisdictions for his article.

Yellowstone National Park, like all US national parks, is federal land, and if a person commits a crime there, it falls within federal jurisdiction. Under the Sixth Amendment, a person accused of a crime has the right to a jury trial. The panel must consist of residents from the state and federal district where the purported crime occurred. So how does this "murder zone" come into play?

There is a stretch of 50 miles within Yellowstone that crosses parts of Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. If someone were to commit murder on this piece of land, the crime would take place in the state of Idaho, but under Wyoming's discretion. This portion of Yellowstone is unpopulated, with no potential jury members living in the area. Therefore, no jury trial can take place.

Once Kalt made the discovery, he sent copies of his research to lawmakers with suggestions on how to fix the issue. His efforts proved fruitless, so this area of Yellowstone National Park remains a "murder zone."

• Love 1

The Chicago Tribune conducted a study and found certain crimes increase when the temperatures are higher, but the rate of some crimes decreases once the weather cools. Crimes occurring most often during hot days include assault, shootings, theft, and vandalism. The study concluded warm temperatures have little effect on homicide or drug-related crimes.

How does the weather affect criminal activity? Several researchers believe hot temperatures compel people to focus less on the future, thereby relinquishing self-control, which for some can lead to aggressive behavior and violence. Brad Bushman, a professor of psychology and communication at Ohio State University, explained, "Climate shapes how people live, it affects the culture in ways that we don't think about in our daily lives."

• Love 1

With the advent of lethal injection in 1977, administering a concoction of drugs replaced hanging as a form of execution in the United States - except in Washington, New Hampshire, and Delaware. Despite execution hangings being legal in these three states, none have occurred in the US since 1996, and that one took place in Delaware.

Delaware now officially recognizes lethal injection as its primary method of execution, but this excludes anyone sentenced to hanging before the 1986 law change.

If done correctly, hanging should cause near-instantaneous death, but it could also leave a victim in agonizing pain for many minutes. Over the years, there was much debate over the safest form of execution. Most current methods can result in a botched execution.

• Love 1

Considering the adage "It's all in a name," it's not a bad idea to consider the future when naming a child. In 2009 a study revealed uncommon male names have a correlation with crime rates. The statistics come from a list of more than 15,000 names of people involved with a crime.

According to the study, Michael "was the least likely name to have an association with juvenile delinquency," whereas Tyrell had a much lower rating on the point scale, and thus could more likely have a connection to juvenile crime. Two economists at Shippensburg University who performed the study, Dr. David E. Kalist and Dr. Daniel Y. Lee, concluded, "Regardless of race, juveniles with unpopular names are more likely to engage in criminal activity."

• Love 1

Anchorage is the largest and allegedly most dangerous city in Alaska. According to a 2011 FBI crime report, which Forbes later compiled into a list, Anchorage was also one of America's most dangerous cities. Anchorage, AK, was fifth on the list, following cities such as Detroit, MI; Flint, MI; and Memphis, TN.

The criteria for the list comprises cities with a population of more than 200,000; categories for violent crimes include homicide, robbery, and aggravated assault. Anchorage clocked in with 813 reported crimes per 100,000 city residents. In addition to the overall higher crime rate, R●●● is reportedly higher in Anchorage than elsewhere in Alaska. Moreover, property crime and methamphetamine use remain significant problems.

• Love 1

Arizona, Missouri, and Wyoming still permit execution by gas chamber, according to a profile in The Washington Post. However, lethal injection is the preferred method in most states; the last person in the US to face a gas chamber execution was Walter LaGrand in 1999.

The gas chamber as an execution method is risky, complicated, and costly, hence lethal injection swiftly replaced it in 1977. However, nitrogen used as a deadly gas may be quicker and less painful than the commonly used cyanide gas; in the long term, nitrogen may be less likely to result in a botched execution.

• Love 1

Less than 5% of the global population lives in the United States, but the country has more than 20% of the world's prison population. The US tends to heavily prosecute minor offenses with long sentences compared to other countries that don't deem similar crimes prison-worthy. A 2013 report said there were 2.2 million incarcerated people in the US; China was second in the global lineup with 1.6 million prisoners on record, despite having a population four times larger than that of the US.

• Love 1

In 2005, in rural northeastern Texas, Andre Thomas was convicted of the murder of his estranged wife and two young children and was sentenced to death. Killing his victims with separate knives, he claimed he did not want to contaminate their blood and "allow the demons inside of them to live." While his behavior was horrific and bizarre, what distinguishes Thomas is what he did next.

Five days after being taken into custody, he removed one of his own eyes.  Despite this self-mutilation, he was ruled to be sane enough to stand trial, the act considered the result of substance abuse, not mental illness.  He was convicted and sentenced to death on November 3, 2005. Three years later, in 2008, after failing to commit suicide, he removed his other eye, inducing total blindness. He also ate his second eye after removing it. His appeals currently ride on the concept of Thomas's mental fitness to be executed. 

Technically, he is not on death row - he has been relocated to the criminal psychiatric ward of the Texas prison system - but he still faces a death sentence which is being appealed.

• Love 1

John Robinson has a lengthy record of criminal behavior dating back to an embezzlement conviction in 1969 for stealing from a doctor while employed fraudulently as an experienced X-ray technician. Throughout the '70s, he continued to engage in white collar crime in Kansas City while also attempting to create the image of a solid community and family-oriented person by becoming a scoutmaster and involving himself in organized charity. Despite numerous prosecutions, he was usually given brief sentences or probation, and his swindles involving shell corporations became even more sophisticated.

In the early '80s, Robinson also became interested in more deviant behaviors, involving himself in sado-masochism cults and the s●●ual torture of others. In 1984, he hired a 19-year-old girl, supposedly as a sales rep, who told her family that she would be sent out of town by Robinson for training. She disappeared without a trace, and Robinson told police he knew nothing about her whereabouts. Her parents received a typewritten, signed letter stating that she was fine but did not want to see her family. The investigation was dropped.

In 1985, Robinson befriended homeless Lisa Stasi in a charity scam, promising her a job and child care for her four-month-old daughter. Within weeks, he told his brother and his wife that he knew of a child they could adopt without a lot of red tape because her mother had "committed suicide." Lisa Stasi's daughter, Tiffany, was shipped to Robinson's brother with some official-looking adoption documents for a fee of $5,500.  

Robinson employed and disappeared another woman in 1987, shortly before being sent back to prison for six years on fraud charges and parole violations. While in jail, he conned the prison librarian, Beverly Bonner, who moved to Kansas to work for him upon his release. Once Robinson got her mother to start sending the woman's alimony checks to a post office box, Bonner disappeared, but the checks were still cashed.

By the early 1990s, Robinson had discovered the Internet, participating in sado-masochism chat rooms using the handle "The Slavemaster."  He lured several women into his orbit, and they all subsequently disappeared, including a 21-year-old Polish immigrant who signed a 115-item slave contract that gave Robinson complete control of both her and her finances. 

In June of 2000, Robinson was charged with s●●ual battery and theft. Police got search warrants for his farm, where they discovered two bodies inside metal drums. A search of several storage facilities rented by Robinson turned up three more bodies in Missouri - all of these victims died by blunt force trauma to the head. In 2002, Robinson was convicted and sentenced to death in Kansas; a complex plea deal in Missouri got him five life sentences. Officially, he is tied to eight deaths; unofficially, law enforcement believes he has murdered many other victims.

Robinson awaits execution in Kansas and may be the first person executed since that state's reinstatement of the death penalty in 1994.  

• Love 1

On June 2, 1991, 23-year-old Denise Huber attended a Morrissey concert in Los Angeles. She was last seen by friends when she left a Long Beach bar in the early morning, intent on driving to her parents' home, where she also lived. The next morning, her parents discovered that she had not come home and they notified police. A friend found Denise's disabled car on a nearby Orange County freeway, the battery drained by emergency flashers that were activated the night before. For three years, police and her parents had no idea what happened to Denise.

On July 13, 1994, a couple went to a residence in Prescott, AZ, to purchase paint from an man named John Famalaro whom they'd met at a swap meet. While picking up the paint, they noticed a Ryder rental truck parked in the rear of the driveway that clearly had been there for some time. They took down the license plate number and passed it along to a friend who worked for the local sheriff's department. The plate came back as stolen from Orange County, CA.

When a deputy knocked on Famalaro's front door and got no answer, he also noticed an electrical cord running from an outdoor socket into the truck. Thinking that he had stumbled on a mobile drug lab, the deputy got a locksmith to open the back of the truck, inside of which he discovered a large freezer. When he lifted the lid, he found, inside, the frozen body of a young female adult, naked, handcuffed, and wrapped in garbage bags. It turned out to be Denise Huber.

A further search in Famalaro's house found a box with high heels, Denise's driver's license, purse, key chain, and even the dress and underwear she was wearing the night she disappeared. Famalaro was arrested when he returned to his home.

Famalaro had passed Denise as she walked from her car, offered her a ride, knocked her unconscious, and then took her to his deserted warehouse business location where he killed her. Denise's skull was so battered, it had to be reconstructed by three forensic anthropologists, who also determined that she had been R●●●d. This qualified Famalaro for the death penalty.  He was convicted and sentenced to death in 1997.

Jurors were deeply impacted by a video cassette recording of a news program, found in a bookcase in Famalaro's home, of Denise's parents begging for information about the whereabouts of their daughter.  

John Famalaro currently resides on death row at San Quentin, CA.     

• Love 1