Sign in to follow this  
Dots_and_loops

Should you give people dietary advice?

I just wanted to vent a little bit. It isn't my intention to be mean, so I hope nobody percieves it that way.

In my opinon, it's always unethical to try and convince others to eat specific diets, especially if you aren't professionally trained. Even if you have gone through the years of necessary training to become a professional dietitician, you must always give someone an evaluation before giving out dietary advice. The reason that this code of ethics exists is to see where the person is at health wise so you can avoid doing others harm by giving them advice that could potentially lead them to developing serious health complications. 

Reading random websites, watching youtube videos, watching documentaries, and personal experience doesn't give you enough working knowledge to give people any level of dietary advice. The reason for this is because nutrition/health/wellness etc. is very complicated. Our bodies aren't identical. Because of our differences, we have different dietary needs, according to what we can and can't digest/absorb, underlying health conditions,  etc.

The fact is that not everyone can thrive on a vegetarian or vegan diet. It's harmful to insinuate that "if it's done right, everyone can do it." Because you have to take into consideration that some people can't absorb supplements, some people can't digest a lot of fiber, some people have problems like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and other health conditions. Even under the guidance of professional dieticians, some people will suffer with these diets.

Vegan and vegetarian activists unintentionally cause harm because they try to appeal to people's compassionate nature and create social pressure to conform to their preferred diets. They use philosophical arguments to convince people that it's unnecessary to eat meat and other animal products, and that not only is there no excuse for it, but you're a bad person if you do. So, people end up converting their diet under the guidance of ill informed people such as freelee the banana girl, a person who at one point ate 10+ bananas on the daily (hello, pre-diabetes). And when health problems come up, a lot of people don't think to connect them to the diet they are on, since veganism and vegetarianism are both treated like they are the healthiest diets out there and activists always insist that if you're experiencing problems, you're "just not doing it right." The vegan diet can be especially dangerous, because of how restrictive it is. You can create irreversible damage if you are malnourished for an extended period of time. Malnourishment is starvation. 

One other thing that I'd like to add is that people often exaggerate the risk of getting heart disease and cancer from consuming meat. This is a form of fear mongering. Yes, eating nothing but red meat all day every day is not good for you, but if you only consume meat once or twice a week, the risk is negligible. 

So, yeah...some people may thrive on vegan and vegetarian diets, but not everyone can. Please, don't give out dietary advice on the internet. Please, don't follow dietary advice given to you by strangers on the internet. And please understand that you can still contribute to the distruction of the planet while abstaining from animal products. I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I'm tired of the blatant gaslighting that I've encountered, even in the recent animated video, created by onision. 

If you got this far, thanks for reading. Sorry in advance if I offended anybody. 

• Love 5

1. Anyone can talk about their diet and offer advice, free speech - not unethical.

2. the whole meat gives you cancer thing, well anything can give you cancer. Statistics say that 1 in 2 people will get cancer at some point in their life.

3. People will do as they please, just worry about what you can control.

• Love 2

Just now, XerinaNova said:

1. Anyone can talk about their diet and offer advice, free speech - not unethical.

2. the whole meat gives you cancer thing, well anything can give you cancer. Statistics say that 1 in 2 people will get cancer at some point in their life.

3. People will do as they please, just worry about what you can control.

If you see a guy who is about to die (Bill Clinton) who is given dietary advice by a doctor to go Vegetarian and as a result he does not die - If you go and tell everyone "Hey, Vegetarianism works for Bill Clinton and millions of others" to call that unethical would be... laugh-triggering.

• Love 3

1 minute ago, Onision said:

If you see a guy who is about to die (Bill Clinton) who is given dietary advice by a doctor to go Vegetarian and as a result he does not die - If you go and tell everyone "Hey, Vegetarianism works for Bill Clinton and millions of others" to call that unethical would be... laugh-triggering.

Exactly, that's why I'm confused by the point made in OP saying that giving advice to go Vegetarian/vegan is unethical???

imo it would be unethical to suggest, like, illegal drugs as part of a crash diet; or telling people to starve themselves.

• Love 2

Unethical, no. But I do agree that people shouldn’t just go around giving dietary advice to people when they aren’t studied in that field.

You can’t just suggest a specific diet for someone you don’t know, just because it works for other people. What works for one person may not work for another. Even if say, veganism works for millions, there are still people who can’t be or would have an extremely hard time switching to a  vegan diet due to health issues. Even if you’ve done your research, you don’t know what a person could be lacking in nutritionally without being properly examined. 

Obviously that will never stop people from giving unsolicited advice. Just ignore it and do what’s best for your own body 🙂

• Love 2

I agree with @Dots_and_loops in the fact that unless you know someones WHOLE medical background, its not ethical to prescribe them a diet that could be doing them more harm than good. The person listening might try it, not knowing that it could harm them, and then it harms them. There are certain medical conditions one should be tested for by their physician before starting any kind of radical diet that cuts out one food group all together.  I think, just eat everything in moderation and you'll be fine. 

• Love 2

49 minutes ago, Onision said:

Monica Lewinsky needs to cut the tube steak from her diet. 

I'm going to use your logic against you...

I think it's unethical for you two to tell people what you can and cannot tell other people to do, when you yourselves do not have PhD's in human psychology.

Telling someone that them expressing their views based on deep research is wrong is a very obvious form of rejection/criticism.

In that, you could very well be pushing them toward suicide. So again, in that, you should most certainly have PhD's in Psychology before you go around telling people what they can and cannot say to others, because how could you possibly know the true outcome without enormous experience?

Additionally, I would like to introduce a very well-known fact to you two. One of the greatest causes of death in the world, number 3 as I recall, is from doctors killing patients.

There are doctors who smoke cigarettes, obese doctors etc. so to say a person who is not formally educated on diet, but still has advanced experience with diet, is not fit to be giving advice on diet... well... you could be right in some areas, but wrong in others.

Just like saying "Listening to doctors is always right" - Fact is, it's not. A doctor once tried to do explorative surgery on a child who only had a rash. I yelled at the doctor, and refused to let him do any work on the child, only to go to a different doctor who confirmed my diagnosis, me with no medical background vs the previous doctor of 18+ years.

Long story short, I will continue giving people a wide rang of advice, and you both will not have any control over what advice I give considering everything I have said, and supported with real-life experience.

It is a fact that red meat causes cancer. Unless you think cancer is good, this is where our conversation ends.

• Love 1
  • No 1

16 hours ago, Onision said:

I'm going to use your logic against you...

I think it's unethical for you two to tell people what you can and cannot tell other people to do, when you yourselves do not have PhD's in human psychology.

Telling someone that them expressing their views based on deep research is wrong is a very obvious form of rejection/criticism.

In that, you could very well be pushing them toward suicide. So again, in that, you should most certainly have PhD's in Psychology before you go around telling people what they can and cannot say to others, because how could you possibly know the true outcome without enormous experience?

Additionally, I would like to introduce a very well-known fact to you two. One of the greatest causes of death in the world, number 3 as I recall, is from doctors killing patients.

There are doctors who smoke cigarettes, obese doctors etc. so to say a person who is not formally educated on diet, but still has advanced experience with diet, is not fit to be giving advice on diet... well... you could be right in some areas, but wrong in others.

Just like saying "Listening to doctors is always right" - Fact is, it's not. A doctor once tried to do explorative surgery on a child who only had a rash. I yelled at the doctor, and refused to let him do any work on the child, only to go to a different doctor who confirmed my diagnosis, me with no medical background vs the previous doctor of 18+ years.

Long story short, I will continue giving people a wide rang of advice, and you both will not have any control over what advice I give considering everything I have said, and supported with real-life experience.

It is a fact that red meat causes cancer. Unless you think cancer is good, this is where our conversation ends.

I agree with you Greg. 100%.