Unicorinne

How soon is too soon to move in with a significant other?

Whenever you're both ready, I'd say. At least 6-8 months into the relationship, though. I wouldn't recommend rushing into it.

• Love 1

I think there should be 2 years of dating before moving in together for sure, and then another couple of years before marriage because you never really know someone until you live together and the honeymoon phase is over.

• Love 2

If you've never lived a lone before. Try living by yourself first. It's an opportunity to discover yourself.

Try long stays after that. Get used to each others schedules and habits. If after 2 weeks you aren't fighting about something then it might be okay to make it permanent. 

I think you should definitely be with someone a long time before moving in together. Living together can completely change a relationship and you want to make sure your relationship is strong before getting yourself into something like that. 

• Love 2

On 2/25/2019 at 10:14 AM, Unicorinne said:

Curious about your thoughts here!

30 years ago ..we knew each other phone wise( meaning we talked on the phone for a couple of months) I moved in with mine immediately after meeting him face to face..His mom was in jail at the time.

It's not about how soon, it's about who it is... but... I suggest waiting a year for most people.

• Love 1

Yeah.. I've moved to fast and then been stuck. So it's best to wait until after your first real fight. Until you see their true colors and treatment honeymoon stage is over

• Love 1

Anything under a year is too soon to live together in my opinion is to soon to move in together in my opinion. It is a stressful and a big step living with ur partner because you don’t truly know someone till your around them 24/7.  Personally I would wait a year or two at the most to live with someone I was dating Bc I don’t like jinxing myself concerning relationships. 

1 hour ago, Onision said:

It's not about how soon, it's about who it is... but... I suggest waiting a year for most people.

What do you mean by who it is?

I think you should move on when you're ready. You don't really have ties to the other person so while it's nice to he considerate, you don't really owe anything to them, especially if they broke up with you.

My bigger concern is that it takes a while sometimes to get over a breakup, nasty or not. You need to give yourself time to get used to not being around that person and conclude your feelings about it. It's not fair to start a new relationship when the last one is still on your mind. You're just going to end up comparing it to that person and relationship instead of inviting it to be a brand new experience for you. You just need to move on with that stuff before including someone else.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, Zaphlox said:

I think you should move on when you're ready. You don't really have ties to the other person so while it's nice to he considerate, you don't really owe anything to them, especially if they broke up with you.

My bigger concern is that it takes a while sometimes to get over a breakup, nasty or not. You need to give yourself time to get used to not being around that person and conclude your feelings about it. It's not fair to start a new relationship when the last one is still on your mind. You're just going to end up comparing it to that person and relationship instead of inviting it to be a brand new experience for you. You just need to move on with that stuff before including someone else.

Move in, not move on! Just curious about what you all think about relationship timelines

Edited by Unicorinne

I moved in with my partner after only 4 months and were married now and been together for years. I dont really think there is a right or wrong time, just depends on what you feel. 

It definetly doesnt hurt to wait though.

• Love 1

Six months to a year.  Give yourself time to get to know each other and see how compatible you'd be living together--you can always do a trial run where one stays at the other's house for a week or weekend.  If you find you bicker too much, then wait longer and try again. 🙂

What I was saying before... for some people moving in right away works. For most... not likely.

• Love 3