Lilith

As●●uality and LGBT

Are asexuals LGBT?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Are asexuals LGBT?

• Yes, they are
    • No, they're not
    • I don't care

I've seen a lot of debate surrounding that whole topic recently. Do you personally believe that as●●uals should be included under the LGBT umbrella? The arguments for each side that I've heard/read are:

Pro: As●●uality is not a "mainstream" orientation and leads to people questioning and doubting your lifestyle, similar to how gay/bi people are often questioned and belittled or told they just need to find the right person for a heteros●●ual lifestyle or that it's a phase they will grow out of, therefore as●●uality belongs under the LGBT umbrella.

Con: As●●uality isn't oppressed and annoying comments such as the above don't count as discrimination, it's not a s●●ual orientation and is not gay or aligned with homos●●ual tendencies, therefore as●●uality does not belong under the LGBT umbrella.

Historically, gay/lesbian/bis●●ual/trans people have been oppressed not only societally but also by criminalizing their lives and governing them with laws specifically made to oppress them. This does not apply to as●●uals, but it's also undeniable that many people still struggle to understand that anyone could legitimately be as●●ual without blaming it on being "broken", immature, abused, or just not in touch with their own mind and body, which is insulting.

Here is an article by an as●●ual person who believes they shouldn't be included:

https://medium.com/the-as●●ual-experience/as●●uals-are-not-queer-3b5290acc6ae

Here is an article that argues for the inclusion:

https://www.galop.org.uk/the-a-in-lgbtqia-is-for-as●●ual-not-ally/

• Love 2

Hi, 

Demi/Pan/Post-gender person here. 

Speaking as someone on the as●●ual spectrum, I think it's right to include aces. While we may not feel s●●ual attraction, our romantic orientation is still a thing. Panromantics/Biromantics, etc. face similar circumstances to the other queer identities, and often face a more intensified stigma from both "sides" due to the s●●-positivity in queer culture and the s●●-driven heteronormativity of the rest of culture. While I'm not heteroromantic, nor am I cisgendered, I've found that with hetero men, language about aces can be cruel. I've been called a monster, alien, and even inhuman, just while searching for a partner who can tolerate the idea that I'm not very interested in s●●. There is an inherent struggle.  People treat you differently, like some sort of foreign object, and family can be pretty upset about it, too, especially for those of us from religious families that expect reproduction.

Look, I'm sorry I'm not like you. I didn't choose to be this way. I wish I could just be straight, cisgendered, accepted s●●ual. Why are you being so mean? Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe I am a monster....

The queer rhetoric isn't limited just to s●●ual orientation--it prides itself on accepting people who are different in terms of gender, s●●, s●●uality and/or romantic orientation.

• Love 2

Basically if you're not straight or a total creep, you're LGBT.

• Love 4

I'm as●●ual but I don't know lol. I mean I would say I'm straight because I'm attracted to guys/can develop crushes on them. I'm more romantically attracted than s●●ually attracted to them. It's been confusing for me for a while until I learned there are different types of as●●ual people after researching it.

Yes, because: 

5 hours ago, Onision said:

No because

you have to have a s●●ualiy to be LGBT, If you're not Lesbian, Gay, Bi, or Trans, or even questioning  then no.

I put "I dont care"  because

I feel like everyone should feel happy and accepted with their own choices in their lives, live how you want. you aren't hurting anyone else and we only live once, so be happy! Live your life! 

18 hours ago, Onision said:

My opinion.

Or you can be straight and trans, those are the options.

13 hours ago, AmazingDiana said:

It's a s●●uality... Even if there no s●●. 

((similar to how atheism is a religious identity))

• Like 1

As●●uals could be romantically into the same s●● or they're trans/non-binary, then they're LGBT+

But cishet as●●uals aren't, imo

On 2/28/2019 at 4:22 AM, Kelsi said:

((similar to how atheism is a religious identity))

It isn't, just like agender isn't a gender