XerinaNova

How do you guy's feel about Captain Marvel?(controversy)

The last I checked before Rotten Tomatoes censored the "Want to Watch" score, it was at 27% of 47,500 people who polled on whether or not they wanted to see the film.

A lot of this is derived from Brie Larson's comments about how the movie is not for white men, saying she wants to fire white reporters who are writing about the controversy and her rant about white people at an awards show - all because of the negative feedback she's gotten from a large number of Marvel fans.

What's your opinion on this? Do you think people should give the movie a chance despite the leading actress having a piss poor attitude?

I guess it depends on how big of a fan you are. I’m personally not, so I don’t plan to see it regardless. 

• Love 3

I was literally thinking last night "Man, I hope she doesn't have a Twitter because she could destroy this whole film" ~ Then wake up, here it is... not from Twitter necessarily, but still, opening her mouth instead of putting the entire film crew/production first.

Meanwhile if you look at the cast of the movie, there's plenty of white men... not sure why she would even begin to try and make a stand over an action film about made up fantasy stuff... just let people enjoy it.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onision said:

I was literally thinking last night "Man, I hope she doesn't have a Twitter because she could destroy this whole film" ~ Then wake up, here it is... not from Twitter necessarily, but still, opening her mouth instead of putting the entire film crew/production first.

Meanwhile if you look at the cast of the movie, there's plenty of white men... not sure why she would even begin to try and make a stand over an action film about made up fantasy stuff... just let people enjoy it.

She, as Captain Marvel, is supposed to be the one who is called in to defeat Thanos in the Avengers movie. This was supposed to be character building but ya know - before, I was all on board to see this movie until she started saying things.....and I am against racism 1000% but these comments were SO unwarranted. There is nothing wrong with just letting the movie speak for itself and she couldn't let that happen.

sigh

• Like 1

I haven't heard about any of this. I am still excited to see the film though.  I happen to love a lot of white men lol. My son is going to be a white man. I used to like Brie Larson. Maybe she will change her mind. Its important to change your mind sometimes.

Personally, I don't care if she has a problem with me being a white man 😛 Still going to see the movie.

• Love 1

I think that some reporters or interviewers push actors into saying something that sells. The press will instigate an actor into saying something  for views or publicity. It's done on purpose and quiet often. I still am going to see this movie. I like white man too 🙂 lol there's probably a ton at the movies.. ha ha ha.. 😂

She never said it wasn’t for white men, she was talking about inclusivity in the press.

"About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren't getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren't providing it, they all had different excuses."

Edited by Jade
  • Love 1

Just now, Jade said:

She never said it wasn’t for white men, she was talking about inclusivity in the press.

"About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr. Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of color, it sounded like across the board they weren't getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren't providing it, they all had different excuses."

Yeah, I didn't read anything about "firing" male white reporters (LOL), but about giving more opportunities to minorities in general, which is an admirable thing. Let's be real, the movie had enough haters already, with or without her own stance influencing it, so she might as well take it by the horns. 

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Lilith said:

Yeah, I didn't read anything about "firing" male white reporters (LOL), but about giving more opportunities to minorities in general, which is an admirable thing. Let's be real, the movie had enough haters already, with or without her own stance influencing it, so she might as well take it by the horns. 

My take on it is she is not well versed in racial relations and she shouldn't open her mouth about something that she clearly knows nothing about. She sounded like she was rambling, there are plenty of organizations where minorities can find career paths that suit their *wants*.  She didn't give name to any of said organizations or help anyone with her statements. She had inflection in her voice that sounded very angry when speaking about white men, people aren't dumb - they pick up on these things and will react accordingly. We can agree to disagree here but I find Brie Larson an absolute nonce and should stick to what she's good at. If she really wanted to help minorities - she would do her research and plug information that'd be useful; not rant at a bunch of rich ppl at an award show.

This is just my opinion and in no way do I mean any offense to your response, don't kill me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XerinaNova said:

My take on it is she is not well versed in racial relations and she shouldn't open her mouth about something that she clearly knows nothing about. She sounded like she was rambling, there are plenty of organizations where minorities can find career paths that suit their *wants*.  She didn't give name to any of said organizations or help anyone with her statements. She had inflection in her voice that sounded very angry when speaking about white men, people aren't dumb - they pick up on these things and will react accordingly. We can agree to disagree here but I find Brie Larson an absolute nonce and should stick to what she's good at. If she really wanted to help minorities - she would do her research and plug information that'd be useful; not rant at a bunch of rich ppl at an award show.

This is just my opinion and in no way do I mean any offense to your response, don't kill me.

That's fair, and it's all good - no murderings here.

Edited by Lilith
  • Love 2

After watching the interviews with her, I agree with you even more than before, @XerinaNova. I only had seen written articles before and now that I've listened to her speak, I fully understand your position. It's too bad that so many feminists sabotage themselves by going way over the top.

• Love 1