jackiea

How do you feel about offensive jokes?

Wondering how you guys feel about some of these joke topics:

Gay jokes, fat jokes, s●●ist, racist, stereotypical, regional, religion, pedophile jokes, mental health, etc. 

How do they affect society and the way we think?

What are some things we should NEVER joke about?

• Love 1

I believe it depends on a person you're joking with.

I personally crack a lot of s●●ist jokes about myself, and a lot of religious jokes - my friend's know I do not mean it and usually get a good chuckle out of it.

Pedophilic jokes (about children) are always in bad taste, but if you were old enough around the early 2000s - dead baby jokes were EVERYWHERE.

So, again, your audience really matters.

• Love 3

On a person to person level, I feel like it’s important to know who you are joking with before making off color jokes. For example, I find dead baby jokes hilarious, but suicide jokes are not funny to me for personal reasons. I feel like everyone has that one thing they personally can’t find the humor in, and that’s ok! We’ve all led different lives and had different experiences, and being mindful of what might upset someone on a person to person level is important. 

On the flip side, with off color humor in the entertainment industry, I think it’s kinda fair game. One of the ways we as humans relate and understand our world and lives is through humor, and I feel like it’s very important to keep freedom of speech and expression in entertainment. Yes, some people won’t react the same to certain jokes, just like on a person to person level, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be allowed to be made. Obviously using off color humor and offensive humor may drive some people away but it’s impossible to please everyone and I feel like if you (the entertainer or comedian or even just on a person to person level) are not coming from a place of maliciousness or bad intent, most people will at least be able to say “I don’t really like those jokes, and I don’t think I can be an audience to them” but also be ok. Idk if that made sense. My point is, offensive humor is just as valid as any other kind of humor, even if some people can’t appreciate it, and it’s ok also to not appreciate certain types of humor. 

• Love 1

I don't mind these types of jokes. I think that it is all about the will/intention of the one saying the joke.

There is being a D●●●, and then there is just kidding/joking. If it is malicious and with ill  intent, I am not 

a fan. I think that jokes about suicide (don't know if I can mention that topic here) I think that topic is 

going too far. Some people get more offended then others so it is hard to know how the joke will 

be received. 

• Love 1

I think nothing should be off limits so long as it's stressed it's a joke and in no way reflects your actual views

10 hours ago, jackiea said:

Wondering how you guys feel about some of these joke topics:

Gay jokes, fat jokes, s●●ist, racist, stereotypical, regional, religion, pedophile jokes, mental health, etc. 

I think one has to know their audience before telling jokes like that, even if offensive if they're funny, people will laugh. 

I find that often people don't like to admit that they like "racial, religion, gay, fat, pedo, mental health etc" Jokes because they aren't politically correct, but those same people will pay money to go to see their favorite offensive based stand up comedic preform at a club. 

An example conversation where I got yelled at for an offensive joke:

(This happened online, over typing)

We were discussing ethnities of ourselves and I stated I'm Jewish.

Guy 1: Kill all the Jews

Me: What did Hitler say as he walked by a boy looking at an ashtray? "Are you looking for someone?"

Guy 1" Could you please not joke like that? My grandfather never made it out of Auschwitz.

Me:  *Confused as f●●●* But you just said kill the Jews.... and Im jewish

6 minutes ago, Sloppy Mommy said:

Me: What did Hitler say as he walked by a boy looking at an ashtray? "Are you looking for someone?"

Omg omg omg that’s so baaad (not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good you know) I’m losing my S●●● over here lmfao 

Hm, this is a tough one because I'm a VERY difficult person to offend and I've been known to crack the odd offensive joke now and then. :V

In my opinion it’s not so much about the joke offending me but just being extremely unfunny. I feel like when people make overly “offensive” jokes all the time you can tell they’re trying way too hard to be funny and trying to compensate for a lack of natural wittiness. 

🤷‍♀️

• Love 4

On 3/5/2019 at 11:14 PM, XerinaNova said:

I think nothing should be off limits so long as it's stressed it's a joke and in no way reflects your actual views

i agree also uR SO CUTE I LOVE UR PFP AWWW

34 minutes ago, leooo said:

i agree also uR SO CUTE I LOVE UR PFP AWWW

OmgggggG tyyy 💜😭💜💜💜

58 minutes ago, Mae said:

In my opinion it’s not so much about the joke offending me but just being extremely unfunny. I feel like when people make overly “offensive” jokes all the time you can tell they’re trying way too hard to be funny and trying to compensate for a lack of natural wittiness. 

🤷‍♀️

And then when they blame you and say "Oh, so you can't take a joke?" I think it's all about intention. If it's extremely unfunny, it was probably just to offend someone and then people make themselves innocent by saying it was a joke. 

• Love 1

Humour is subjective. That's the end of the story. Your emotional responses mean nothing and whether you find it funny or not means nothing.  As long as the joke does not encourage violence against others I don't really care. Racism isn't funny but I'd laugh at a well-thought-out joke about an ethnic group. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I GET ULTRA MAD AND PULL MY PLEDGE THEN TWEET ABOUT IT FOR 3 DAYS - I'm just kidding that's stupid- being offensive is funny - it's why I love south park :^)

• Like 1
  • Lol 1

13 minutes ago, swiftscout said:

I GET ULTRA MAD AND PULL MY PLEDGE THEN TWEET ABOUT IT FOR 3 DAYS - I'm just kidding that's stupid- being offensive is funny - it's why I love south park :^)

Well done Scout for being a rational person. Shock humour is funny to a lot of people, it's just our politically correct society doesn't let people be themselves. 

• Love 1

To me, it depends on weather you mean what you're saying. I love s●●ist / racist jokes but if they reflec that you realistically view a race or s●● as inferior, then I have a problem. Or if it reflects that you actually are insensitive to a person's struggles (you can also make jokes about a certain issue without actually being insensitive to people's struggle with it irl)

1 hour ago, Celery Amy said:

To me, it depends on weather you mean what you're saying. I love s●●ist / racist jokes but if they reflec that you realistically view a race or s●● as inferior, then I have a problem. Or if it reflects that you actually are insensitive to a person's struggles (you can also make jokes about a certain issue without actually being insensitive to people's struggle with it irl)

I agree, it must have been really hard being a Black Jew in the 40's, they had to sit in the back of the oven. 

Online,  I sometimes really can't tell the difference between a joke and an asshole. People on forums never get my jokes or sarcasm either (and the language gap of course)

Irl, lots of people around me have offensive humor and I find it hilarious. Same with most comedians and youtubers, you can tell they're joking so I don't get offended

People I know IRL say I'm  a pretty nice and generous person but oh boy, deep down I love some edgy/offensive jokes.

More for the "Wow, did this dude really say that?" reaction I get that causes me to laugh.

Though, more often than not, R●●● jokes just don't work for me. Not that I've been s●●ually abused but idk it just feels distasteful at times, especially if the timing is wrong.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Synchronic said:

People I know IRL say I'm  a pretty nice and generous person but oh boy, deep down I love some edgy/offensive jokes.

More for the "Wow, did this dude really say that?" reaction I get that causes me to laugh.

Though, more often than not, R●●● jokes just don't work for me. Not that I've been s●●ually abused but idk it just feels distasteful at times, especially if the timing is wrong.

Yes I completely agree that R●●● jokes are almost always distasteful. It just makes me sad and uncomfortable. 

Offensive humor is really funny. I find it quite strange when people get over the top angry about a joke that was offensive.

Just my opinion: If a joke's a joke then its nothing to be taken seriously. If you say something is a serious context that is offensive then it should be taken seriously. Thats just common sense.