Is fat shaming really beneficial to one’s health?

Psa:Not my words just figured this needed to be addressed. Will be linking the information. To me this is important health wise because I see this a lot and you have to realize whem. 

Fat shaming is the act of criticizing and harassing overweight people about their weight or eating behavior. It’s often justified as a means to motivate people, but research shows that it has the opposite effect.

What is fat shaming exactly?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fat-shaming-makes-things-worse#shaming

Fat shaming involves criticizing and harassing overweight people about their weight or eating habits to make them feel ashamed of themselves.The belief is that this may motivate people to eat less, exercise more and lose weight.

In the majority of cases, the people who fat-shame others are slim and never had to struggle with a weight problem.

Research shows that much of the discussion on obesity on social media involves fat shaming, which often turns into harassment and cyberbullying — especially against women.

However, stigma and discrimination against overweight people cause major psychological harm and worsen the problem.

Overall, Many studies show that weight discrimination — including fat shaming — causes stress and leads overweight people to eat more calories.

Many observational studies indicate that weight discrimination is linked to weight gain and a drastic increase in obesity risk.

Weight discrimination can also cause depression, eating disorders, reduced self-esteem, and an increased risk of various other mental and physical problems.

Depression is one of the top causes for increased suicide risk — and people who are obese are more likely to be depressed. It’s plausible that weight discrimination may increase suicide risk.

Bottom Line

Weight discrimination — including fat shaming — leads to stress and causes overweight and obese people to eat more.

This form of bullying may not only cause additional weight gain but is also linked to depression, Eating Disorders, reduced self-esteem, and an increased risk of various other mental and physical problems.

More Articles if you guys wanna read:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/wiring-the-mind/201501/whats-wrong-fat-shaming

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/fat-shaming-does-not-motivate-obese-people-to-lose-weight/

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/news-releases/2017/january/fat-shaming-linked-to-greater-health-risks

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170126082024.htm

https://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/health/fat-shaming-sick-study-partner/index.html

https://www.health.com/heart-disease/fat-shaming

I just saw this on tv the other day and this happens all the time. People are very rude sometimes.

9A100FAA-CEC0-4FDE-901B-17327829B335.jpeg

D344F965-C368-420C-9616-9C99B43CF923.jpeg

I think the answer is pretty obvious that body shaming anyone, skinny or fat is not beneficial to anyone. Trying to bully someone into gaining or losing weight doesn’t work, people need to want to help themselves. It just makes you a S●●●ty person, imo. 

• Love 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mae said:

I think the answer is pretty obvious that body shaming anyone, skinny or fat is not beneficial to anyone. Trying to bully someone into gaining or losing weight doesn’t work, people need to want to help themselves. It just makes you a S●●●ty person, imo. 

I was going to make a topic covering skinny shaming as well.

Well the reason I made this is Bc I’m a plus size person and I know so many others as well as me have faced shame for it. Skinny shaming is also not okay nor do I condone that either.

Edited by Guest

That woman on the plane was just an asshole. 

I agree that shaming in any form is  abhorrent

Skinny people get shamed too, just as bigger people do, and it helps no one. 

People also fat shame/ Skinny shame indirectly too, which also hurts in many ways. 

It's all just very disgusting, the world needs to stop seeking to hurt other people through their own insecurities or just because they've decided to be rude and I hate rude people!

3 hours ago, Jackson said:

Fat shaming is just disgusting in all ways possible. I think if someone is healthy then it shouldn't matter. If someone's fatness is making them very unhealthy, there are better ways to approach them and talk to them about it and to change their eating habits to help them lose weight. 

But nope, fat shaming or any kind of weight shaming is not beneficial at all, it could drive them to eating disorders, suicide, depression, etc. Not nice. 

Exactly . 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sloppy Mommy said:

That woman on the plane was just an asshole. 

I agree that shaming in any form is  abhorrent

Skinny people get shamed too, just as bigger people do, and it helps no one. 

People also fat shame/ Skinny shame indirectly too, which also hurts in many ways. 

It's all just very disgusting, the world needs to stop seeking to hurt other people through their own insecurities or just because they've decided to be rude and I hate rude people!

Yes that’s why I wanted to bring up this.

Edited by Guest

I think shaming in any form is bad, but there are real health concerns when you are obese. If it's someone you don't know it's not your business obviously and a person being overweight doesn't mean you can jump to conclusions. But if it's someone you love I do think it's in their best interest that you talk with them honestly. There is certainly a way to do it without judging them or shaming them and if they're overeating due to mental health issues you can help them get help, or hell, help them learn new eating and cooking habits because some people just weren't taught before they lived on their own. Some people do need tough love but there's still ways to do that without shaming them and they might be upset but they should realise this comes from love and not prejudice. I'd rather tough love be their wakeup call rather than a health scare. Especially as many don't see any major complications until they hit their thirties when it might be too late or difficult to make changes in lifestyle. Still possible, but much harder to learn (it's also easier to prevent type 2 diabetes than to reverse it afterwards if it's caused by dietary sugars/starches)

Of course this is totally unrelated to just being a bit bigger or a little chubby which is why I mentioned obesity specifically

People don't need to fat shame because being really fat, having a double chin that makes your face ugly and having no one who is attractive wanting you is already enough shame that will make you want to start working out.