jackiea

What does your house smell like?

I know this is a strange question but, our houses all smell different and no one talks about it.

I live in a town house and mine either smells like clean laundry when my neighbor or myself are doing laundry or it smells like candles/essential oils that I use. When I keep my downstairs closet open (The one where we share a wall) during dinner time it smells like Cambodian food because my neighbor likes to cook for her family, which I don't like. 

I expect some pretty strange answers

all my friends say my house smells like fresh laundry all the time which i guess isn't bad ❣️

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Mow_ann said:

all my friends say my house smells like fresh laundry all the time which i guess isn't bad ❣️

It's so funny how we can't smell our own houses but other people can. I can only smell the laundry scent in my house when I'm out of the house for like 8 + hours!

• Love 1

Generally it smells like whatever I'm cooking or baking. Today it just smells like fresh air because I left all of the windows open to let in the lovely spring air.

• Love 2

I live in an apartment complex so my place usually smells like whatever the neighbors (or I'm) cooking. xD

right now it smells like ... sawdust and paint and cat piss.  my mom is working on finishing /redoing (mostly finishing b/c we moved into my house before it was ever completed and years later we're finally fixing some things that never got done so we can try to sell it... long story... but it basically smells like a construction site with the added addition of cat piss because theres so much junk and construction material all around my house that its been like a maze to get to the litterbox and i havent cleaned it in almost 2 weeks.  
promised myself i'd get it out tomorrow though because the cat pee smell is getting bad.  at least he's still going in the box but the box smells so bad its like just permeating out into the air of the rest of the downstairs.  
upstairs smells fine though and i dont know.... smells like  laundry and spring since i was able to open the windows for the first time in months today and yesterday (its finally gone above 30 degrees this past few days and its been nice to open the windows and air out the house.  doesnt help much downstairs since theres still chaos going on down there but up here is nice

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jackiea said:

It's so funny how we can't smell our own houses but other people can. I can only smell the laundry scent in my house when I'm out of the house for like 8 + hours!

yes, our olfactory glands (the little glands in your nose that provide sense of smell) become accustomed and almost build up a tolerance to stuff we smell all the time.  i ask my friends all the time to let me know if my room smells bad.  (i have a dog who spends most time in my room so i mostly just want to make sure my whole room doesnt smell like wet dog or something... which it really USED TO , and my friends would inform me, lol, but the past few times i've asked we've been good.  my old dog was older and had a skin condition and frequent infections  and i think that was part of it.. everything he slept on would get a funky smell.  the dog i have now is a husky and she cleans herself almost like a cat and usually her fur actually smells pretty good.  (also somewhat unrelated... i love in the summertime when my cat goes outside and then he comes in smelling like flowers because he's been playing in the lavender or hiding under the lilac bushes.... love to snuggle him when he smells like flowers. flower-cat) 

Edited by AnnaSantina

21 hours ago, Rainsfire said:

Omg I'm a sucker for red roses. I am stuck on Victoria secret Petal scrub. Rose hip oils and fragrances. I can't get enough! All my candles I light smell like that and I am burning this bomb new insense called Nirvana.. it's heaven

Omggg I LOVE roses! I just bought some rose petal sugar from a shop in San Antonio and I'm so excited to use it!

• Like 1